What HD ammo for an AR15?

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by Melissa5, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I can shoot either .223 or .5.56 through my Daniel Defense and have been shooting Remington .223 FMJ at the range. But what type of ammo should I be looking at for home defense?

2. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I'd get something like m855 and a silencer.

3. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Steel core penetrator for HD? :roll:

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Not worried about overpenetration? Why the silencer? To minimize overpenetration? For home defense, I'd want a short OAL (while still keeping decent velocity).

5. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

I'd look for some of the Speer Gold Dot, Federal Tactical or Winchester Ranger loads in the 64grish range; or Hornady TAP in either 60 or 75gr offerings. Online retailers offer the best deals if bought by the 200 rd case.

A suppressor isn't a bad idea, but is kinda cost prohibitive. If one has a carbine inside of a structure, without ear pro it will be awfully painful on the ears without a can. Even with say an M4-2000 on a 14.5-16" barrel won't be much longer than most shotguns. Some of the new mini cans are nice choices for taking the sharp bite out of a 5.56 inside.

6. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

He asked about his ar-15. What if criminals with ballistic vests attempt to break into his house? The silencer to reduce the noise and muzzle flash.

I have a collapsable stock saiga-12 with some 20 round drums and 10 round magazines for HD.

7. Outlier

Outlier Active Member

+1

Here is a good read on the subject.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

And here are 2 places to find said ammo.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/1433.php

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... point-ammo

8. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

SWR just came out with the specwar. Here is a link.

9. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Assuming that lighter 5.56 rounds have less momentum, get the lightest grain loading you can find 55-grain and less.
    Also if it's hollow point or preferably fragmenting that's a plus too. Normally I wouldn't recommend varmint loads because they don't penetrate well but ... oh yeah, 'don't penetrate well' is a plus in this situation.

10. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Oh man, rampant people wearing vests these days. Skip over steel core anything and just set up claymores at all your doors and windows. [​IMG]

Melissa, I'd go with anything in the 55 grain range.

11. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I use m855 in my 9" barrel plr-16 and 7" barrel rra pistol. I'm waiting on my silencer. Why take the chance with criminals who wear ballistic vests?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Instead of spending money on a supressor just fire all 30 rounds into the guy with the vest. Save money that way.

13. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

Yeah, the money you save on a silencer can be a down payment on hearing devices. Unless you are wearing hearing protection when the home invader attacks your hearing is going to be damged.

14. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Well, I found some Speer Lawman 5.56 55gr. and was going to use it for the range, but should I use it for HD instead? I know the military uses FMJ and they get the job done. Is it really worth it to use hollow points in an AR?

The can sounds like a good idea for the AR and my HD Glock. If the intruders are wearing vests, I will shoot them in the face.

15. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Depends on where you live. If you live out in the country you might not be concerned about over penetration. I live in the city and could almost reach out and touch the house next to me and have about 7-9 other houses within 20 yards.

If I was going to use an AR platform for HD I would want something that did non over penetrate.

I read an article that 55gr .223 HP had similar penetration to most common pistol calibers.

16. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I'm out in the country, but in a subdivision and my neighbors are about 20 -25 yards away.

17. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I've got several mags loaded with Hornady TAP FPD 55gr. (ballistic tip ammo).....then I have several more mags with other stuff.

18. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Really? How many home invasions do you realistically think you'll be in? I have, on more than one occasion, forgot to put in my ear pro during rapid fire back in my military days. Did it suck? Yes. Did my hearing get worse? No (my final hearing exam showed my hearing actually got better than when I first joined, go figure). I just don't see this justifying the hundreds of dollars on a supressor. Yes, the gain indoors is going to increase the dBs but since the sound is not sustained it's not going to be nearly as damaging as it sounds. And if you're getting overrun by bad guys with vests (happens a lot) chances are they are going to also have guns. Probably not supressed so be sure to put in ear pro when they enter as we don't want the sound from their guns making you go deaf.

19. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Melissa5,
    Take a look at what a Hornady 223 40 gr Varmint Express bullet did to 60 lbs. of cow in Gizmo's thread. This is his choice for HD .223.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=46743

20. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

That was interesting on many levels, but very interesting about the 40gr ammo. I wouldn't have thought it would cause so much damage.