What happens to your fingerprint card?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

When applying for a firearms license, have you ever wondered where your fingerprint card goes once you sign on the dotted line and turn it over?

Well, follow along, and we'll see! One lesson I have learned is that it is better to get your fingerprints taken electronically if at all possible.

Here is my current understanding of what happens:

The Sheriff's Department takes your fingerprints. The Sheriff's Department's agency number is near the top of the fingerprint form.

If they were taken electronically ("Livescan") then they are transmitted electronically to the GBI, GCIC. No person at GCIC touches the fingerprints. In literally minutes, the Georgia databace is tapped, and, assuming no problems appear in your record, the card goes (automatically and electronically) to the FBI, NCIC.

Now, if they were ink fingerprints, they are mailed to GCIC. There is normally a 7-10 day turnaround time, but GCIC is currently running about 4 weeks due to a transfer to a new computer system and "budget cuts." I was informed in no uncertain terms that there is no 4-5 month wait occurring. Then, these are also forwarded to FBI, NCIC.

The FBI, after checking NCIC, then transmits them back to the agency whose agency number appeared on the document (that is, the Sheriff's Department).

I hope this helps. To my knowledge, nobody here has spoken to the FBI, NCIC to determine how long their check is taking. SInce it should be electronic at that point, it ought to take minutes, but I do not know at this point.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I was looking up information for a packing.org user yesterday and I came across several things on the NCIC and IAFIS webpages about fingerprint background searches (NICS, IAFIS, and NCIC are all a part of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division or CJIS website).

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/iafis.htm

And
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/ncic.htm

3. Malum Prohibitum

SO

GCIC claims "literally minutes" and

NCIC claims "24 hours" and

yet some counties issue in 2 weeks and others take 6 months (or more). Then they blame it on GCIC and NCIC. Hmmmmm . . . .

I am pondering this mystery. :?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Do we know whether ink fingerprints are translated into electronic at GCIC and then transmitted electronically to NCIC, or do they actually mail them ink fingerprints?

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I don't know, I do know the NCIC search comes after the GCIC search is done.

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I don't know about other counties, but in Haralson County we had one of those "Livescan" machines installed by the GBI. We inputed the person's information and sent it to GCIC and FBI, then we would proceed to fingerprint them using the scanner on the machine. After the fingerprints were captured they were then printed out on fingerprint cards and sometimes the GCIC and FBI check would have a return by the time we were finish with capturing fingerprints. We printed out the background check and attached the fingerprint cards to the background check and person's information, then it was mailed to the appropiate agency.

I still have the contact info of the GBI agent who installed the Livescan machine in Haralson County, if anyone thinks by contacting him would shed some light on the 60+ days turnaround time mystery.

7. Malum Prohibitum

8. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I applied for my Firearms License on Friday Feb 17th in Forsyth County, and my fingerprints were electronically scanned. The court secretary said it will take about 8 weeks to get my permit. I shook hands with the Probate Judge while I was there and he said it was the same timeframe. When I walked over to the ordinance office for the fingerprint scan, they said 4 months! :x

I guess my question is, if the GBI check comes back within 48-72 hours will it do any good to inquire about my permit in 30 days? Or should I wait 59 days then call the probate court, and then possibly my congressman?

BTW, the application experience was positive. The Probate court folks and the Judge were polite (and of course I was, too). The ordinance office folks were polite and professional, too. I'm not too confident about the rest of the process.

10. thebugman

thebugman New Member

They are probably used to the turnaround with paper fingerprints. I would be suprised if it takes 3 weeks. Let us know.

11. Malum Prohibitum

I would wait the 59 days, since they are allowed that much time by statute.

12. Malum Prohibitum

I still do not know the answer to this question, but to update the first post on this thread, all the information I have at this point indicates that the maximum time ink fingerprints have taken at GCIC is 30 days, and there was only one month when that occurred.

That one month does not tell the general story at GCIC, which normally has much shorter times for ink fingerprints, and literally takes minutes for electronic fingerprints, which are never even handled by a person at GCIC (they come in electronically, a machine runs them, and they are transmitted to NCIC).

13. fleetdoc23

fleetdoc23 New Member

The answer from GCIC themselves.....(I got bored at work and called them up)......yes, they scan them into a computer that acts a lot like livescan....then the process is automated from there.

About the only prints that are delt with manually anymore are latent crime scene prints...

14. ntech

ntech Member

Do they keep a record of GFL holders? In case you ever lose your card? Or do you have to re-apply all over again if you lose it, or renew?

15. cannonballgsu

cannonballgsu Member

are the cards sent back together?

16. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Is anybody else a little uneasy with the idea of your prints being compared to those of every wanted or missing person in the FBI database, electronically? It seems a little intrusive, and a point of easily mistaken identity, depending on the accuracy of the software used for the search.

17. fleetdoc23

fleetdoc23 New Member

Actually the software has much less of an error rate than an actual person doing comparisons......considering the staggering amount of records that they handle on a daily basis it's quite extraordinary that it's done at all considering other branches of Government.

In fact you can tell me all wrong information (Name, DOB, Etc.) and I submit your prints on Livescan and within a few hours I will know everything about your criminal history including your real name.

And I would want to make sure that the person that carries a weapon is not a convicted felon.

18. fallison

fallison Guest

And it takes 60+ days for the probate court to do the same thing why?