What happened to packing.org?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Seems to have gone away . . .

2. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I think it was up yesterday or the day before...

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yesterday worked part-time

Yesterday I had trouble accessing the packing.org site, but after several tries I did succeed. There seemed to be very few new posts, and not many comments on the recent existing posts, so I think others had trouble, too.

Today I tried at three different times throughout the day, with no success. My browser always says the web site cannot be found.

4. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

5. gunsmoker

again, it's down

All day today. 11/28/2005, the packing.org website was down.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

it's up now... unfortunatly I am too.

7. gunsmoker

AGAIN

Again Packing.Org is offline.... from the afternoon of 12/6/05 to right now, the early morning of 12/7/05. Oh, is it Pearl Harbor day already? Wow. Maybe some Mitsubishi did a kamakazi crash into the building where Packing.Org servers are located? ;-)

8. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Man is packing.org unavailable frequently. What am I supposed to do all day at work? :D

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

visit www.shooterslegacy.net :)

10. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Down again!

It's been down for at least 20 hours. I wonder if it was shut down by Hillary's Computer Henchmen. The last thread I saw was about her.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

12. thebugman

thebugman New Member

As much as I enjoy the forum, I like the other info that is available even more. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a mirror site with the same info available on another site? Thank goodness its back up. It would really suck to not have all of that info.

13. Malum Prohibitum

14. thebugman

thebugman New Member

It forces me to post more over here. :D

15. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Been down most of today............................. :cry:

16. gunsmoker

Unreliable

Packing.Org is the most unreliable and error-prone website I've ever regularly visited. It's bad enough that it's "DOWN" almost daily, if only for a few minutes at a time, but every few weeks it goes down ALL DAY or even for multiple days.

In the last week, twice I have spent a good bit of time and effort composing an excellent quality post, only to hit "submit" and get an error message with a bunch of gibberish. And at that point you can't access your post again to copy or save your work. It's gone. The only thing to do is wait a while and type your post all over again. I'm really sick of that, and I find my second-attempt posts are not as good quality because I'm frustrated and STILL not sure if the damn thing will even go through on the second try.

17. john

john New Member

packing.org

could someone not freindly to the subject be causing trouble in the form of a bug ?

18. Malum Prohibitum

Server gives a message "too busy" all morning this morning.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Clayton Cramer thinks it is because of Kansas getting concealed carry yesterday.

20. gunsmoker

Invalid Password for IP address

After being down almost all day yesterday, (too busy for server) it's back to working, but I can't log-in because it says my user name and password don't match my IP address? WTF does that mean? I thought my name and password only had to match EACH OTHER, not also the IP address of the computer I use. What if I am wanting to check Packing.Org from a friend's house, or the office, or the local coffee shop that has free internet access?

I have a new solution to both the "server too busy" problem and the "password / IP address mismatch" problem. I'm just not going to use Packing.Org for the rest of the year. Maybe they'll work out the problems between now and then. If not, oh, well. I won't miss them too much. I didn't post anything for the first several months after they switched to the "new format" anyway, and I didn't have withdrawl symptoms.

Congrats to the folks who run Georgiapacking.org for creating and maintaining a very reliable system here!