what does your wife, girlfriend, or mom, carry?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by DogLeg, Jan 22, 2011.

1. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

my wife has agreed to take a handgun safety class and get her GWL! i'm having difficulty helping my wife pick out a CCW gun. it's mostly a problem choosing the caliber.

so what does your wife, girlfriend, or mom carry?

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Re: what does your wife or girlfriend carry?

Anything around she wants! (Usually a S&W 642)

3. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

My fiancee doesn't carry since she is in medical school in NY and can't (and won't). Does my mom count? If so, she has been carrying my P3AT in her purse because of its size. She has her own Glock 26 too.

4. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Whatever she wants to carry. Getting her to carry by her own choice is mission number one.

5. Tubbith

Tubbith Member

I wish I could get my mom to carry. She seems to be on board but always uses the (very much valid) excuse that she doesn't have the money to get a GWL or gun. Maybe one of these days I will have the extra cash to get her both.

6. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

It was easier to get her to think about it when my dad died in June at 50y/o. I am applying for FHP and Miami PD so I will most likely not be here next year. She doesn't want to be a 48 year old woman without anything to protect her inside or outside of her home.

7. Tubbith

Tubbith Member

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Getting her to think about it isnt the problem for me. She fully understands that there are people out there who will do harm to her if they have the opportunity. She has no issue with guns, me carrying, or herself carrying one day. It seems to be more of a problem of making her realize that her life is worth more than the bit of money she is spending on other things. Admittedly, most of her money is going to pay for bills atm, she just doesn't seem to realize that having a way to defend herself is a top priority. There is always something else that has to be paid off or paid for before she can look into a way of defense. I honestly think I am going to have to save up the money to buy a new gun for myself, and just give her my Rossi to carry. Then pay for her GWL before she starts carrying.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

My wife has a Taurus 738 TCP. She is going to start carrying it full time on her person in public as soon as we both feel comfortable with her skills. She's coming along great, though and should be carrying in public full time soon. She's a good shot. I'm also trying to drill in all applicable self-defense laws, and what to do after a shooting with her. Luckily, she knows gun safety already.

Good luck! :righton:

9. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I edited the title to include our mothers.

10. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Oh, and Mom carries her Ladysmith Model 60.

Other Mom, who came along with my wife into my side of the family.... Carries whatever her retired cop self wishes.... (I really do not know!)

11. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

To summarize so far:

S&W 642
    S&W 60 Lady Smith
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Glock 26
    Taurus 738 TCP

12. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

How does she want to carry it?

13. Suprman

Suprman New Member

Wish My mom would think like that. My father passed this July at the age of 57 and my mother is all alone in Pensacola except for the every other weekend i go see her. doesn't mind me having a gun since i live in Atlanta, but always says, you don't have to wear that here (Pensacola) we don't have to worry about that stuff. I try to tell her it can happen anywhere and she really needs to get some sort of protection, but she won't understand that its not the 60's anymore, people will hurt her for no reason at all.

anyway to get back on topic, my GF carries a M&P9c, does not like my Glock 23, and we took her to the range and tried alot of gun before we got her the M&P9c as we were going to buy her a G26 until she shot it and couldn't get a good grip on it.

most important thing is to let her shoot alot of guns and have her take home whatever feels right to her. if it doesn't feel right to her, she'll never be comfortable shooting it at the range or for self defense.

14. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

My fiance carries anything of mine that I'm not carrying at the time. However, the one that is actually "hers" is a Bersa Thunder 380. We'll be getting her a Glock 27 in the next couple weeks. She carried my 23 a few times and loves the light weight of it coupled with a larger mag capacity. I showed her the Glock 21 Torture Test blog made by some guy on The High Road and she was sold on its reliability. Her exact words were "I don't want any doubt that when I pull the trigger it will go bang."

That's my girl! :lol:

15. tech2576

tech2576 New Member

The Mrs. carries a Taurus 24/7 pro compact 9mm.
    She shot quite a few guns and she liked it better than any thing else.

16. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Since I'm a woman, I'll chime in. Most of the time I carry either a Glock 26 or 36. It just depends on what I'm wearing and what season it is. But, a first time shooter may be more comfortable with a revolver. The best advice I can give you is to go to the range and try a lot of different guns. Don't pick the gun for her, but just be there to kind of guide her.

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

My girlfriend's carry gun is a .38 snubby revolver, S&W.
    She can't shoot it very well. The short barrel, small sights, and small grip, and heavy trigger pull make it hard to put all the rounds into a man's chest at 15 feet.
    But the gun is "cute." It's small and light and fits her hand. But it's not cute or fun to shoot it, so she rarely shoots it. Maybe once a year for 5 or 10 rounds is all I can talk her into.

Her home defense gun is a 9mm that holds 13 rounds. Too heavy to carry, she says.
    But she is much more accurate with it, and I think it's the far better gun for any self-defense scenario.

18. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

My wife hasn't gotten her GWL here, ( yet :wink: ) however she has a WA state CPL and sometimes carried her 9mm SA XD9sc when she was living there. She's pretty good with it. :D

She has a 9mm SA XDm she keeps at her beside for immediate HD. She also has a 9mm CX4 Storm Carbine as her HD long gun. We've been shopping around for something smaller/slimmer for her to CC around here. So far, the current list includes: Kahr P9, G26, M&P9c and the 9mm Walther PPS as a distant fourth. I know the middle two aren't especially slim, ( when compared to a pistol like the Kahr ) but since she shoots better with them, she likes them. She's not quite as good with the single stacks like the Kahr, even though that's pretty much what she wants to carry and likes how slim they are. Ugh.. :? We're still working the issue though.

19. TDM

TDM New Member

S&W M36 with Winchester Silvertips for about 24 years now. She's on the paper at 25 yards - double action. A little scary. I behave myself, though.

I'd recommend that anyone (male or female) who picks one of these practices a lot. She does.

20. rdinga

rdinga New Member

My wife prefers a revolver. While she can does shoot my 1911's, Glock's, etc. She enjoys the simplicity of a revolver. Her carry gun is either a model 10 snub nose or an all steel 649.