Georgiapacking.org banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
BigRatt said:
Correct, Boy Racer. I overheard a Norcross LEO in David's Gun Room last week saying he carried a Kimber 1911 .45. Don't know what model. I was a little surprised. I thought the .40 S&W was king among law enforcement.
The .40, especially in Glock, is tops in LE, but there are still plenty of other things out there. After all, there are over 17,000 police agencies in the US.

·
Registered
9 Posts
True Enough

I think several major metropolitan forces still issue 9mm(DeKalb County?) What I'd be interested to know is if any departments still issue revolvers as their service weapons.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Re: True Enough

BigRatt said:
I think several major metropolitan forces still issue 9mm(DeKalb County?) What I'd be interested to know is if any departments still issue revolvers as their service weapons.
I don't think any departments do, but a lot of correctional officers are issued revolvers.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

BigRatt said:
DeKalb issues the Beretta 92.

I don't know of anyone still primarily issuing revolvers, but there is one ACCPD guy that still carries one. I have a cousin by marriage that is fairly high up in the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office, and he carries a revolver when out and about.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts

legacy38 said:
BigRatt said:

I don't know of anyone still primarily issuing revolvers, but there is one ACCPD guy that still carries one. I have a cousin by marriage that is fairly high up in the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office, and he carries a revolver when out and about.
I saw a GA State Trooper in uniform carrying some type of revolver earlier this year.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

GAGunOwner said:
legacy38 said:
BigRatt said:

I saw a GA State Trooper in uniform carrying some type of revolver earlier this year.
Are you absolutely sure he was a trooper and carrying a revolver? Could he have been a retired trooper wearing the uniform for a ceremony of some sort. There are some other agencies that wear a uniform similar to GSP but with different patches and badges. It could have been a DOC guard.

The GSP recently switched to the G37 (.45 GAP) with a G39 as a BUG. Prior to that they issued G22s and G27s respectively, and prior to that they issued trooper choice of 4506 or 5906. It's been a LONG time since they issued revolvers, and I don't believe they have an option to carry anything other than an issued weapon. One of my guys is the son of a retired GSP LT. I'll ask him about it.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts

legacy38 said:
GAGunOwner said:
legacy38 said:
BigRatt said:

Are you absolutely sure he was a trooper and carrying a revolver? Could he have been a retired trooper wearing the uniform for a ceremony of some sort. There are some other agencies that wear a uniform similar to GSP but with different patches and badges. It could have been a DOC guard.

The GSP recently switched to the G37 (.45 GAP) with a G39 as a BUG. Prior to that they issued G22s and G27s respectively, and prior to that they issued trooper choice of 4506 or 5906. It's been a LONG time since they issued revolvers, and I don't believe they have an option to carry anything other than an issued weapon. One of my guys is the son of a retired GSP LT. I'll ask him about it.
Yes, I'm SURE he was a Trooper. I don't think that retired Troopers are ever allowed to wear their uniform again. The revolver was not the revolver that they used before they went to automatics, it was actually a pretty small revolver.

However, the GSP Trooper carrying this pistol was high ranking if I remember correctly, but he wasn't the Colonel. This revolver may just be something he wanted to carry since he was a higher officer? I do not know.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

GAGunOwner said:
legacy38 said:
GAGunOwner said:
legacy38 said:
BigRatt said:

Yes, I'm SURE he was a Trooper. I don't think that retired Troopers are ever allowed to wear their uniform again. The revolver was not the revolver that they used before they went to automatics, it was actually a pretty small revolver.

However, the GSP Trooper carrying this pistol was high ranking if I remember correctly, but he wasn't the Colonel. This revolver may just be something he wanted to carry since he was a higher officer? I do not know.
Rank has its privileges. :lol: I'll ask my guy when I see him next.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts

legacy38 said:
GAGunOwner said:
legacy38 said:
GAGunOwner said:
legacy38 said:
[quote="BigRatt":1zxsehjo]I think several major metropolitan forces still issue 9mm(DeKalb County?) What I'd be interested to know is if any departments still issue revolvers as their service weapons.

Rank has its privileges. :lol: I'll ask my guy when I see him next.[/quote:1zxsehjo]

Rank has its privileges alright, the privilege to carry a rinky-dink revolver when you could be carrying a high capacity semi-automatic firearm. :wink:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts