Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to get shot at? I found this very interesting.

Nemo

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,944 Posts
I'd want to try this Involving a cliff or peak of a mountain ridge where the bullet, after passing over my head, does not impact any backstop (at least not for a mile).

I have been 'in the pits' near the targets while high-powered rifle bullets, or sometimes subsonic 22 long rifle target rounds,
were fired over my head.

But the bullets made a considerable "thump" into the wall of red Georgia clay just a few yards past me.

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,944 Posts
The Big vertical wall of the backstop berm can also reflect the sound of the gunshot back to you the listener--- and this means you're not getting a true sound of just the bullet itself flying by.

I'd want to have a marksman fire a suppressed high-powered rifle from inside a shoot house, firing through a little slot in the wall or partially open window, from let's say at least 600 yards then having the bullet pass close to me...

...and continue onward for at least another thousand yards without touching anything before it eventually impact the sea or some distant mountain range.

That way I'll hear the sound of nothing but the bullet & its supersonic shock wave flying by me, at least for a second or so, before the sound of the suppressed gunshot comes along.

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
I'd want to try this Involving a cliff or peak of a mountain ridge where the bullet, after passing over my head, does not impact any backstop (at least not for a mile).

I have been 'in the pits' near the targets while high-powered rifle bullets, or sometimes subsonic 22 long rifle target rounds,
were fired over my head.

But the bullets made a considerable "thump" into the wall of red Georgia clay just a few yards past me.
Politics keep going the same direction in this country and you'll get your chance to hear plenty.

· Registered
1,934 Posts
They sound like a hornet zipping by when close. Than there is nothing.

· Registered
16,211 Posts
were fired over my head.
I've done that too. It's even more fun when they run a "mad minute" shoot and the whole firing line opens up.

Still don't come close to OWM's experience though. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts