Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a long time holder of a Ga CWC I'm aware that to have such a permit allows me to carry a handgun either openly or concealed within the confines of the law. Here's my question: How does having a CWC affect my carrying of LONG GUNS? Can long guns be carried either openly or concealed with a valid CWC? What about carrying a (legal tax stamp issued) short tactical shotgun?

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
The long version is OCGA 16-11-126

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.​
I would read that as If you want to carry a long gun concealed, make sure it's unloaded first.

As for short barreled shotguns, rifles and whatnots ...
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-122 - Possession of sawed-off shotgun or rifle, machine gun, silencer, or dangerous weapon prohibited
No person shall have in his possession any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer except as provided in Code Section 16-11-124.​
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-124 - Exemptions from application of part
This part shall not apply to:
(4) Possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer by a person who is authorized to possess the same because he has registered the sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act, 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862); and​

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Technically the GWCL does not affect Long Gun carry or possession.

The GWCL covers a "weapon" which is defined in 16-11-125.1 as a Handgun or a Knife.

This is one of the reasons I have started carrying a AR15 pistol, which is covered by my GWCL. I can conceal it even if loaded in a backpack, shoulder bag, briefcase or even under a jacket if need be.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,933 Posts
Also, I believe you need a GWCL to carry a long gun either openly or concealed in "government buildings" that don't have screening.

·
Sledgehammer
4,815 Posts
It's debatable whether 126(b) is capable of being violated, because it appears to permit behavior, not prohibit it. There is not a provision that explicitly makes it a crime to carry a concealed and loaded long gun. to the extent that 126(b) is such a provision (and I don't think it is), clearly it does not apply to a license holder (so a license holder is free to carry a concealed and loaded long gun.

Phil is correct that a license holder is not subject to the prohibition of 127(b)(1) against carrying long guns in government buildings. But, 127(e), the section that applies to license holders in government buildings, only regulates carrying weapons (i.e., not long guns). There is, therefore, no provision that prohibits a license holder from carrying a long gun in a government building even if there is security screening.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,933 Posts
Great analysis of the law, jrm! I learned something today. :)

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
Carry the Mossberg Shockwave open or concealed? lol
If you conceal carry the Mossberg Shockwave or the Remington 870 Tac-14, you may have created an unregistered AOW in violation of the NFA. These two firearms supposedly should only be carried openly to be non-NFA legal. Unless you want to go through the NFA process which just defeats their purpose.

Reactions: gunsmoker

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand all of the above. Question: Can I conceal my Shockwave inside my truck? Can I cover it when I step out of my truck and leave it in my truck? Is it illegal, in my truck, to have it concealed in a bag or soft case? Thanks

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
I understand all of the above. Question: Can I conceal my Shockwave inside my truck? Can I cover it when I step out of my truck and leave it in my truck? Is it illegal, in my truck, to have it concealed in a bag or soft case? Thanks
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126
O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-126(a)
Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
Statute says nothing about concealed or openly displayed, loaded or unloaded. You don't even need a carry license for those locations.

I would posit that most if not all of us carry our long guns in our vehicles in some sort of case when going to/from a gun range with no issues.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,600 Posts
Georgia does not prohibit carrying a concealed firearm.
No, but the feds do. If you conceal a Mossberg shockwave or a Remington TAC- 14 on your person,
ATF takes the position that you don't just possess a "firearm" but rather you possess an AOW --any other weapon-- which is unlawful if it was not manufactured and registered under the national firearms act (NFA).

https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

None of that applies to covering up a gun that is kept inside your motor vehicle so that passersby don't look through your windows and see the gun there in plain sight.

But I want to clarify this point of law as to the broader statement about the state of Georgia having no restrictions on the carrying of concealed firearms that are not classified as "weapons" in 16-11-125.1.

·
Sledgehammer
4,815 Posts
No, but the feds do. If you conceal a Mossberg shockwave or a Remington TAC- 14 on your person,
ATF takes the position that you don't just possess a "firearm" but rather you possess an AOW --any other weapon-- which is unlawful if it was not manufactured and registered under the national firearms act (NFA).
The OP only asked about concealed inside a vehicle, so these points do not really apply. That said, I don't think these statements are entirely accurate. The statute (making it an AOW) is for a firearm "capable" of being concealed on the person. A Shockwave (or any other given firearm) is either capable of being concealed or it is not. You could, under the statute, be prosecuted regardless of whether you actually conceal it (compare the definition of a machine gun, which is the device is "capable" of firing more than one shot with a single function of the trigger). The fact that you conceal it is evidence that it is capable of being concealed, but it would not be hard for a prosecutor to show that the firearm is capable of being concealed without your having done so (although I suppose if you conceal it you have demonstrated that you know it is capable of being concealed).

In addition, it's not really true that the ATF takes the position that if you conceal it, it is an AOW. Even the link you provided says that if it is concealed it "may" change their opinion. But the ATF always puts weasel words in their classifications. Their existence is just because the ATF likes to change its mind.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
In addition, it's not really true that the ATF takes the position that if you conceal it, it is an AOW. Even the link you provided says that if it is concealed it "may" change their opinion. But the ATF always puts weasel words in their classifications. Their existence is just because the ATF likes to change its mind.
Remington (unless something has changed) doesn't include a fancy letter from the ATF with their TAC-14. They don't show anything on their website either. But they do include the little paper note shown below saying status "can" change with use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts