What do you think about the Dragunov?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, Jun 12, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

What do you think about the Dragunov? My wife wants one and she begins to be quite persistent.

She really begins to freak me out. She sent me that picture and asked me if we can get one legally : http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land ... vic552.jpg

Thank you

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

That picture is not of a Dragunov. That's a Maw Deuce! :shock:

3. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I badly wrote my statement. She wants a Dragunov AND she asked me about that other in the picture if she can get one.

I knew I should never has sent her to that NRA for women day at the Pinetukee gun club....

Thank you

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You can get one. It is just a question of $$$. Are you rich?

5. Malum Prohibitum

As for the Dragunov, it is capable as a marksman rifle, but it is not really precise enough to be a professional sniper rifle or to compete in target competitions.

6. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Not rich really. But we do not spend like crazy so we can afford things that usually "average" families can't. We don't go to restaurant (except sometimes for takeout), we don't go to cinema and the only vacation trip we take is a one week trip back home in Canada to visit familly (So no hotel/meal expenses).

The Romanian is about 1k$ and the Russian is 3-4K$. I would opt for the Romanian.

Thank you

7. Malum Prohibitum

If you are interested in long range shooting, you can get a LOT better American rifles in that price range. Stuff that is amazingly accurate - even custom made for your bullet.

But as for rich, I was referring to the other weapon, the M2. You are talking tens of thousands of dollars in acquisition cost.

8. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I will NOT buy her the other weapon...

Thank you

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

:shock:
    Holy crap, send me some info on whatever class you sent her to so I can send my wife to the same class!! Did they do some kind of hypnotism or make her drink some oddly flavored coolaid or what?!!!

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Ah yes, the good ol NRA Koolaid... I buy it in the 55 gal drum....

11. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

It was an all-day event with rifles+ammo+instructors+free lunch sponsored by the NRA for women only at the pinetukee gun club of Augusta. The cost was 8$, but they decided to wave totally the cost.

She shot .22 handgun, scoped .22 rifle, .44 revolver, 9mm pistol. the shotgun was in the program, but they did not have time, so she got a free 30 minutes shotgun at the club.

The first part of the day is the How-to and the second it the shooting.

She got a retired marine gun instructor to teach her the basics and he followed her all along the afternoon. He helped her with her flinching with the handgun. One funny thing, she was bored to hit the steel, so she decided to hit all the baloons in the back of the range they put for decoration. the lady organizing the event did not like it...hehehehehe

Thank you

12. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

The Russian Dragunov is C&R. I did not find the Romanian as C&R. Is it right it is not?

Thank you

13. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I didnt know Dragunov's were C&R eligible.... check the BATFE list.

They are cool guns though, but yes there are more accurate ones (AR-10 for semiauto, almost any bolt gun, etc)

14. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

OK... I did it, I just bought a Romanian Dragunov. My wife is extatic and soooooo happy now. She wanted 4 mags and a better scope.

She can't wait to next week when the FFL dealer will receive the rifle.

I read you must not use the 183 gr into this rifle. I have a 300 rounds box Bulgarian 183 gr for my mosins and 400 rounds Romanian that is no longer on AIMSurplus. Anyone rememebr if those were 147-150 gr?

Thank you

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have 280 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62x54R 147gr if you want to trade it for 280 rounds of the ones that you're not sure of the weight on. My Mosin M44 won't care if it's heavier ammo.

16. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I do have 2 nagants, so I am ok ammo wise. Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated.

Thank you

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Anytime :D