What do you say when someone says.....

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by gizmo5, Aug 31, 2007.

1. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

"Your putting yourself in danger by carrying a gun. Someone might see it and take it as a challenge or a bad guy will take it from you and use it against you"

I have been dealing with this "Your a victim because you carry" mentality a good bit lately. I need to know what to say to get across to these people. I have said and tried it all so far. Maybe you fine people can help me out. Thanx!

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Tell them to try it. :D

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I don't know where I got them but my two favorite reposonses are...

"Well they can take it but they will have to beat me to death with it cause it's gonna be empty"

and...

"They can pry it from my dead hands but be carefull cause the barrels gonna be blazing hot!"

others are

"Well if it's that easy to take it, I'll just take it back."

and

"There sure are a lot of cops walking around in grave danger then"

4. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

I would love to say that, but the person(s) it would be said to would not be very happy with that response.. :wink:

5. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

The first one is GREAT! The second one is the one I said, but they just came back with "they are trained to handle situations like that" :roll:

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

And you're not? Invest in some retention training!

7. tace

tace New Member

Who is trained to handle situations like that? Who ever you are talking to has a very unrealistic perception of criminals. They are mostly dumb and they want to do the least amount of work for most pay. Even hardened criminals won't want to mess with someone who is carrying a gun unless that person is making it way too easy for the criminal to take the gun away from him/her.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Sounds like they are already unhappy.

I liked this one best....Sorry USMC, didn't feel like cutting and pasting another quote: "Well if it's that easy to take it, I'll just take it back." That one was classic.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Classic!

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Someone might see your gun and take it as a challenge:
    Has this ever happened to anybody outside of old westerns?

A bad guy will take it from you and use it against you:
    Again, possible, but it just does not happen. "Bad guys" are lazy and will simply seek a softer target. This does not mean you should not be aware of your surroundings, invest in at least some minimum level of retention, or perhaps even conceal while carrying, but your typical violent criminal just is not interested in taking your gun to use it against you.

Why, when there are so many easier targets out there? Guns can be obtained from burglarizing occupied homes, and if a criminal is just looking to attack, rob, rape, &c., he will pick somebody who is unarmed.

Is the failure to find a suitable answer likely to result in no carry? Usually, the kind of people asking those questions already have their minds made up, so arguing with them is not likely to change their minds.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Thats why its concealed, or do criminals have some kind of x-ray vision I was not aware of.

Take it as a challenge? Gang initiations are to shoot someone else, not get themselves shot.

Take it as a challenge? You don't think I can handle someone with multiple gunshot wounds?

Take it from me and use it? Wouldn't have to, I would let them have it first, but without any ammo left in it, they would not have much use for it.

12. budder

[-( You should be beating him over the head with it!

13. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Me: "Go :censored: yourself."

I've never had patience for idiots. You aren't going to change their minds.

14. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Laugh and ask them if they've heard any other good jokes.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If they really believe this they are probably a lost cause and/or stupid unless they are really young. They come to illogical conclusions.

Ask them if they were about to be robbed would they rather have a gun or not. If they say no, get away from stupid people.

16. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

Just tell them that, that statment is about as silly as saying, "He's got a gun get em'!!!" ...you first.

17. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I would tell that person to go find me an example of where that has happened and report back.

18. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I have never had anyone ask me any of those. Ironically was I was sent to a job location in down town Atlanta last spring, middle of gang central, my service manager asked me if I had my pistol with me. My company has a prohibition againsed carrying firearms on company property, including vehicals. I will neither confirm or deny the presence of a firearm, my version of "don't ask, don't tell".

Chris

19. budder

I take it Semper Fi is a side business, then?

20. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Yes. It's something I enjoy doing. I'm planning on it replacing my other income in the 7 to 8 years. With y'alls help of course.

Chris