Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

What did you reload today?

24K views 477 replies 20 participants last post by  Adam5 
#1 ·
I know that Match 10 and I aren’t the only reloaders here. We reload on most Saturdays.

Today was a low volume day for us. We loaded 40 rounds of 30-40 Krag for him to try in a recently acquired rifle. They are Hornady 150gr soft points. 20 at over 35gr of H335 and 20 are over 36 of H335.

We also loaded 100 .357 Magnum defensive rounds that are 125gr Hornady XTP over 9.5gr of Power Pistol, and 150 .357 soft target rounds that are 158gr Berry’s flat point over 5.9gr of W244.

What did you reload today?
Finger Material property Nail Rectangle Thumb

Finger Thumb Nail Metal Cylinder

Musical instrument Blue Tobacco Gas Office supplies

Product Blue Ammunition Bullet Gas

See less See more
#172 · (Edited)
A Remington 700 with a jewel trigger. Lugs were lapped but no blue printing. The stock is just a hs precision hunting style stock with aluminum bedding blocks. I did skim bed it with devcon though…don’t know if that helped or not. The barrel is a schilen 1/10 twist standard varmint contour. Scope is a Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 N.F. rings and bases.
43.5 grains varget..cci br2 primer 175 Sierra matchking bullet with about .004” jumpat 2700 fps

There was a left to right wind in the beginning when I was shooting for score. Later when the wind died and I learned how to calculate group size from the monitor , I shot those last 10 with no scope adjustments for group.
A little better pic

Tire Wood Tints and shades Sports equipment Metal

#173 ·
I do not know how many reading here know what a feat you accomplished.

3 shot group at 100, 5 shot group at 100 debate

This is 10 shots at 600, and 5.95 inches. Impressive.

Was the .004 jump the best for accuracy? Have you tried a larger figure, like .010 or more? Do you intend to keep increasing overall length as the lands inevitably erode?

That means the lands on my 6mm Creedmoor eroded 0.077” over 1300 rounds, which is an average of 0.0059” every 100 rounds(i.e. 0.077 ÷ 1300 × 100).​

I bet a .308 wears even faster.

A lot of top competitors in PRS load their rounds to the overall length that puts them in the middle of a range of erosion they estimate will occur from the start to the end of the match. Complicated stuff. Some of them are finding that the rounds are more accurate in some rifles at a much larger figure, like .020 off the lands. So they take their measurements, figure out how many rounds they will be shooting at the next match (they have already been tracking wear and erosion) and then set the overall bullet length to be .020 (or whatever was most accurate) back at about the halfway point in the match, so they will be as close to either side of that most accurate overall length for the entire match. I guess paying attention to details like that is one reason they are at the top.

My .308 Remington VS shot most accurately with the bullet extended to the point that it there was some resistance closing the bolt and the neck only (rest of the previously fired case untouched). But these PRS guys are not doing it that way these days. There is some really interesting reading out there on it, if you are interested. I haven't tried any of this - just read online about others doing it.

Reactions: torp
#175 ·
I do not know how many reading here know what a feat you accomplished.

3 shot group at 100, 5 shot group at 100 debate

This is 10 shots at 600, and 5.95 inches. Impressive.

Was the .004 jump the best for accuracy? Have you tried a larger figure, like .010 or more? Do you intend to keep increasing overall length as the lands inevitably erode?

That means the lands on my 6mm Creedmoor eroded 0.077” over 1300 rounds, which is an average of 0.0059” every 100 rounds(i.e. 0.077 ÷ 1300 × 100).​

I bet a .308 wears even faster.
A .308 is supposed to have a good barrel life. I always thought erosion was a function of powder volume and bore diameter. I’m surprised at the 6.5-.284 figures in that article. I’ve read the life is around 1000-1200 rounds.

#174 ·
There was no difference between .004 and .010 that I could tell. Beyond .010”, I saw a little loss in accuracy, but definitely could tell that against or jammed didn’t do as well. So I seated on the short side of that window to allow for throat wear. I’ll reassess in 300-400 rounds.
I’ve done the three and 5 shot groups myself before. It’s easy to kid yourself into thinking you have a 1/4 minute rifle….I’ve done it myself.

There is a good read on ar15.com that’s easily found. Search “The trouble with 3 shot groups”
One of the few good write ups I’ve seen at that place.

#178 ·
Well, I didn’t take any photos of what Adam and I reloaded yesterday. We got a little late start, but did 400 .350 legend rounds. With apologies to Adam, here is a photo of my reloading partner…

Circuit component Engineering Electronic engineering Machine Passive circuit component

#179 ·
Well, I didn’t take any photos of what Adam and I reloaded yesterday. We got a little late start, but did 400 .350 legend rounds. With apologies to Adam, here is a photo of my reloading partner…
This defeats the purpose of reloading but the Decatur Walmart had tons of .350 legend on Sunday. Passing it along as that’s an uncommon ITP round. 🤣

#183 ·
I picked up 1000 9mm nickel brass online, shipped to the door for 4.5¢ ea. They shipped fast and FedEx delivered them early. Capped/sized them all tonight.
Mix of Speer, Federal and Sig. Just a few of the Federal were head-stamped +p. They weren't hard to size. The Sig on the other hand were tough to size. Very clean for what the company claimed as 'once fired' brass.

Automotive lighting Metal Machine Computer hardware Auto part

Household hardware Nickel Silver Auto part Composite material

#185 ·
picked up 1000 9mm nickel brass online, shipped to the door for 4.5¢ ea.
I have an admiration for nickel plated brass, as Adam will attest… and for some reason all the books and internet fanboys say that nickel is hard to reload and hard on your dies. I’ve never found that to be the case, and I’ve been reloading nickel plated brass, in my 50 year old dies, without any problem.

Good grief, I love nickel brass, and a good looking nickel reload. And I prefer them for hunting out West in adverse weather. Come to think of it, I even like them for hunting here in the eastern adverse weather!

Leaf Wood Plant Font Grass

#199 · (Edited)
Well, these are large, flaky powders. And you will cut some grains. But I don’t find it to be too much of a problem with the technique that I use. Slam up. Slam down. Move cartridge. slam up. Slam down.