Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
14,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Match 10 and I aren’t the only reloaders here. We reload on most Saturdays.

Today was a low volume day for us. We loaded 40 rounds of 30-40 Krag for him to try in a recently acquired rifle. They are Hornady 150gr soft points. 20 at over 35gr of H335 and 20 are over 36 of H335.

We also loaded 100 .357 Magnum defensive rounds that are 125gr Hornady XTP over 9.5gr of Power Pistol, and 150 .357 soft target rounds that are 158gr Berry’s flat point over 5.9gr of W244.

What did you reload today?
Finger Material property Nail Rectangle Thumb

Finger Thumb Nail Metal Cylinder

Musical instrument Blue Tobacco Gas Office supplies

Product Blue Ammunition Bullet Gas

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Nothing in a while. It’s too hot in my garage room….especially with the dehumidifier going non stop. I do mine in the fall and winter. I’m thinking about getting a mini split AC system for just that.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
14,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My loading is a little of an odd situation. I live with my girlfriend in her 1br high rise with no room for a bench or a press. I have a Lee hand press that I use to prep brass at the coffee table. I’ll work at the coffee table a couple of nights a week while we hang out and watch TV after dinner. On most Saturday mornings I pick up Match10 and we’ll go to breakfast, hit a few gun stores or go shooting, then will drop powder and seat bullets on his RockChucker single stage press. Most of what we load we split down the middle unless it’s something that only one of shoots, or something special like my .357 defensive loads that we loaded last week, or when we load for my father.

Tonight I sized/decapped, belled, and primed 200 10mm cases to feed to my XDM Elite.
Tableware Table Hand tool Eyewear Rectangle

Calculator Grille Toy Space bar Rectangle

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My loading is a little of an odd situation. I live with my girlfriend in her 1br high rise with no room for a bench or a press. I have a Lee hand press that I use to prep brass at the coffee table. I’ll work at the coffee table a couple of nights a week while we hang out and watch TV after dinner.

I started with the Lee Hand Press and now I use a single-stage press. In between, I got the idea to make a stand for the Hand Press to make it a little easier. I think I adapted some plans from someone's idea I found on the internet.

A 4 x 4 piece of wood screwed to 3/4 MDF. The small blocks were cut to fit the depressions on the side of the press. One block is attached to the 4x4. The other block is used to fill out the space so the clamp had somewhere to grip They both have magnets from an old hard drive embedded in the wood and covered in felt.

It worked pretty adequately when I was just making 9 mm, but I moved to the single-stage press when I started making .223. In the picture, it is clamped to an old office desk. I used to be able to keep all my reloading stuff in one medium-sized plastic tote.

Wood Wood stain Flooring Office supplies Hardwood

Revolver Tool Gas Machine Auto part

·
Man of Myth and Legend
18,355 Posts
Might look into something like this. Not too difficult to store in a closet and not super expensive.

Or cut some plywood for the top, a piece of material to cover it and make it a lamp stand.

Nemo

Triangle Font Rectangle Basketball hoop Signage

·
Registered
185 Posts
Or something like this:

A guy I follow on youtube that has a channel about Guns & Guitars went on the road in a RV for over a year and raved about how the table was great.
He has a bunch of videos of it in action while he builds cool @$$ guitars and basses.
E

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Not exactly reloading but more reworking. I had a buddy show up on my doorstep with 250 .45 ACP bubba reloads a friend of a friend gave him years and years ago. He complained of fail-to-feed and failure to go into battery malfunctions so I pulled out my calipers and found 80% of the cases were still flared (not just poorly crimped) and OAL varied from 1.220-1.287! We set him up with 1.252 OAL and a decent crimp for anything that was long and just re-crimped the rest. 5-4 of them had proud primers to correct and some dozen were tossed as likely cracked cases.

If anybody has seen iron oxide half around halfway up on a .45, I’m curious what it was. I suspect either something with a gas port or some horribly worn out chamber. No dings or crimps there, just a literal rust belt across some of the cases. Mixed brass cases from the usual suspects. No nickel or wolf in there.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
That’s strange. Sized with a rusty die? Not all are carbide. I would think that after a few, the loose rust would have come off the inside of the die though.
We only did reseat/re-crimp so it wasn’t my carbide sizing die. Maybe someone skipped lube on a steel sizing die 2 decades back and the remnant is rust now?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts