Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

821 - 840 of 850 Posts

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
Now this comes from someone who reads non-fiction almost exclusively.
Does no one read Louis L'amour now a days? Do you take a few moments to enjoy good fiction (Robert Conrad, Conan Doyle, Tolkien,... <ok, you have all probably read his works a million times> E. Hemingway, etc..)?
I know I sometimes want to take some time for enjoyable reading, but life does get in the way. We are driven to work for our common good, but do any of us just read a novel for pure enjoyment?
I know we, as a whole, enjoy books that support our beliefs, but do we enjoy reading for the entertainment of it? Even with critical thinking applied?

I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Does no one read Louis L'amour now a days? Do you take a few moments to enjoy good fiction (Robert Conrad, Conan Doyle, Tolkien,... <ok, you have all probably read his works a million times> E. Hemingway, etc..)?
I know I sometimes want to take some time for enjoyable reading, but life does get in the way. We are driven to work for our common good, but do any of us just read a novel for pure enjoyment?
I know we, as a whole, enjoy books that support our beliefs, but do we enjoy reading for the entertainment of it? Even with critical thinking applied?

I'm just wondering.
I used to read for enjoyment but .... I was in the honors program while a University student in DC and I had a Literature Professor that absolutely killed it for me. We had to read 3 novels per week for an AP course. To this day, I do not understand why that was a requirement. Couple that along with all of the other coursework I had to do.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,470 Posts
A few years ago I was into Wilbur Smith's novels. He is a white South African. His novels are historical, and usually follow one of two threads. One thread follows the history of the Cortney family from England to Africa through the Boer wars and beyond. The other is set in ancient Egypt. Be warned: you may get hooked!

·
Registered
434 Posts

I'm just wondering.
Yep read pretty much all of that right now reading the latest Joe Pickett novel by C J Box series is about a Wyoming game warden

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A few years ago I was into Wilbur Smith's novels. He is a white South African. His novels are historical, and usually follow one of two threads. One thread follows the history of the Cortney family from England to Africa through the Boer wars and beyond. The other is set in ancient Egypt. Be warned: you may get hooked!
Read the Cortney series. It was awesome.

Reactions: TimBob

·
Registered
183 Posts

I'm just wondering.
Actually I am currently working my way Louis L'amour right now. Just finished Craig Johnson's Longmire Series.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,612 Posts
When you work as much as I do (>80 hours per week), you don't really have time to sit down and read - so I do Audible.

I've been binge-listening to Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series. If you're into Special Forces action mixed with mad scientist supervillians, give this series a go.

I will say this - the audiobook series is narrated by Ray Porter. His narration is AMAZING. It's like listening to a movie. I've pretty much decided to find other stuff he's narrated, simply because of his talents.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The Generals, by Anderson & Anderson

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm a bit of a book juggler.

Currently reading:

"The Vegetable Gardener's Bible"/Edward Smith: my daughter (7) has requested - in writing! - that we start a vegetable garden. How can I say no? At her elementary school, the kids tend an urban farm and raise ducks, so she knows more about farming and gardening than I do. I need to catch up.

"Last Child in the Woods"/Richard Louv: before everyone locked down, my daughter's school librarian gave me this book, which is kind of a survey of the crisis in children's access to nature, and what can be done about it. I'm constantly dragging my daughter into the woods, going caving, camping, hiking, etc, so it's an issue of interest to me.

"The Histories"/Herodotus: I'm a history buff, and have long intended to read this 5th century BCE history of the Persian Wars. Finally, I am. Landmark's edition has excellent commentary by Robert Strassler, and 137 maps. I love maps almost as much as I love history. Probably a two-month read, at least. I'll tackle Thucydides next.

"Theogony"/Hesiod: written in the 8th century BCE, an interesting work which ties mythic Greece to the beginnings of recorded history. I'm mostly using this as a reference in my readings of Herodotus.

I'm also working my way through back issues of London Review of Books, which kind of accumulated the past few months.

Lots of words!

DH

·
PawPaw x 3
8,473 Posts
Ray's New Practical Arithmetic.
copyright 1877
Swapped a Bible on CD as narrated by James Earl Jones.
Great find in my estimation.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts

821 - 840 of 850 Posts