Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

801 - 820 of 850 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I just downloaded a copy of my brother's library into Calibre. About 20,000 books.
Now I've got a couple weeks ahead of weeding out the cookbooks, the detective and romance novels, and all the self-help books. I'll still have a couple thousand books when I'm done.

Right now, I'm reading David Weber's "Honor Harrington" and "Honorverse" series. At one book a day (average) I should be done by the end of October.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am yet again between books. I reread the Gunslinger series and It, but have yet to see either movie. I think next will be something political/historical in nature, but haven't happened upon anyhing that has caught my eye.

·
Well Aged Member
2,127 Posts
I just downloaded a copy of my brother's library into Calibre. About 20,000 books.
Now I've got a couple weeks ahead of weeding out the cookbooks, the detective and romance novels, and all the self-help books. I'll still have a couple thousand books when I'm done.

Right now, I'm reading David Weber's "Honor Harrington" and "Honorverse" series. At one book a day (average) I should be done by the end of October.
That takes me back, an outstanding sci-fi series.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Great book!
first chapter

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/becker-fear.html

I have a personal story to share, kind of what this book is driving at. When I was about 6 years old, my mother was a teacher at a private school that I attended. I remember a field trip we took to Lowry Park in Tampa, Florida. There was a place next to Lowry Park that was called "Safety Village" and it was a kid sized "town" complete with a courthouse, bank, hospital, working traffic lights, etc. They had bikes and little cars (that you could pedal) so kids could learn the safety signals, how to cross the street etc. We spent the first part of the day at the Safety Village, then took a break for lunch. Lunch was at a picnic pavilion between Lowry Park and the Safety Village. The students and teachers met underneath the shade of large trees with Spanish moss gently waving in the breeze like a sad sea anemone waving goodbye. There was also an outdoor restroom facility, and I had to use the bathroom. I told my mom where I would be, then walked over to the men's room (I remember no one was confused about their gender back then, I certainly wasn't, even at the age of 6). When I entered the men's room, there was a man at the urinal talking to someone who was in the stall. I immediately felt terrified. It wasn't anything related to what the guys were talking about, it wasn't the way they were talking, it was just a huge sense of fear of both of them. I didn't know why I felt that way; I just knew I had to get as far away from them as possible and to do so quickly. No reason or rhyme to it at all. Just BAM!! pure terror. So I left and went and got my mom's attention (she still remembers all this), and in a panic I told her that there were two men in the restroom that scared me. She asked me what they did and I said, "They didn't do anything, they just scare me." She then told me to wait until they left then to take my brother with me. So, that's what I ended up doing. We ate lunch, then went and spent the afternoon at Lowry Park. When it was time to walk back to the school van, we had to pass the picnic pavilion and the restroom. Someone was yelling from inside of the men's room. My mother and the other teachers went over to help, and found that a man had been locked inside of the men's room. Someone had taken some strong wire to lock the door from the outside. None of us could bend it, so either my mom, or one of the other teachers, got the attention of someone who worked at Lowry Park. He was an older man, white beard, balding .. and came over and bent the wire and let them man out. As soon as the man came out, we heard tires peeling off. It was a pickup truck, and the same guy I saw standing at the urinal was sitting in the back of the truck. The man that had been locked inside of the restroom started shouting "That's them! Those are the guys that locked me in here!!"

They had robbed him and locked him in there.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,673 Posts
Prepper Guns. Really good, lots of practical technical gun advice for TEOTWAWKI situations, and what guns to prioritize to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Prepper-Guns-Firearms-Techniques-Collapse/dp/1634505875

The Second World Wars, by Victor Davis Hanson. I'm a history nerd. This is an interesting take and historical analysis of WW2, that is good and different, than the many other histories out there on WW2. I'm a big fan of Hanson's work.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-World...rds=the+second+world+wars+victor+davis+hanson

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 and CCNA Routing and Switching. A lot of pages. A bit dry.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,408 Posts
I find it hard to read lately. Don't have the attention span I used to. I guess too much Twitter and GeorgiaPacking has killed it. :D

Anyway, all the Twitter bragging on this book prompted me to grab a Kindle copy I'm part way through. It is pretty good.

Scalia Speaks: Reflections on Law, Faith, and Life Well Lived
http://a.co/exyQAnF

·
Registered
304 Posts
“The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,149 Posts
The Bible. 5 pages a day could get me through the entire thing in one year.
But I'll skip over the parts I read and highlighted in 2016 and 2017 (only a few hundred pages, sad to say). So maybe I'll finish by the fall of 2018.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,957 Posts
1518304306104.jpeg

·
PawPaw x 3
8,473 Posts

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Prime Deceit. Robert Gore.

801 - 820 of 850 Posts