What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thread premise is a simple one: what are you reading right now?

Are you reading a book you think would interest others? It doesn't have to be firearm or 2A related.

All you have to do is post the title (inclusion of ISBN preferred) and a short description of the book.

2. tony218

tony218 New Member

i just read GOD, GUNS AND ROCK'N'ROLL by TED NUGENT
    a very interesting read.
    it starts off about 2A rights and ends with hunting.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America's Continuing Debate over Science and Religion
    ISBN: 046507510X

Like the title says it is about the Scopes trial. Really interesting stuff so far. Like I had no idea the extent that the prosecutors, judge, and city councilmen went to make this trial happen.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Armed America: The Remarkable Story of How and Why Guns Became as American as Apple Pie

Clayton Cramer

ISBN-10: 1595550690

In this true story of our nation's love affair with firearms, Clayton E. Cramer debunks the myths and takes readers along a winding historical trail full of surprising revelations and riveting anecdotes, explaining the roots of America's gun culture.

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Art of War by Sun Tzu.
    a must read, has applications not only in war, but personal and professional applications. Very short but indepth. Part of the Marine Corps required reading.

Letherneck Legends, Conversations with the Marine Corps Old Breed. Dick Camp

The Prince. Niccolo' Machiavelli
    Very good read, the main body of the text deals with how a Prince should run and maintain his kingdom.

One Bullet Away, the making of a Marine Officer. Nathaniel Fick
    just finished it not to long ago. About a young Force Recon Marine Officer on his way to, during, and after the Invasion of Iraq. Very good read, I also recommend Generation Kill by Evan Wright, who was inbedded with Nathaniel Fick during that timeframe. His story focuses mostly on the individuals in a squad who had orders to go ahead of the invasion forces, and basically draw fire. Highly RECOMMENDED

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I am also reading White Hunters. I have a history of the Battle of Thermopylae waiting next.

7. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Ah yes, The Spartans. I expect that subject to be very popular in the next few month, what with the movie coming out and all. Yet another good graphic novel that I would recommend to those that are so inclined.
    Along with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by the incompareable Frank Miller.

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

300, based off a graphic novel by Frank Miller. From what I can tell it follows the graphic novel almost shot for shot, least thats what the PR monkeys are screaming.

here is the wiki for the Historical battle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

the Graphic Novel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28comic_book%29

and the movie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28film%29

and of course Movie Trailers
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/

I will be seing this one when it comes out.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

From the wiki:

According to another account, he [Xerxes, King of Persia] did send emissaries to the Greek forces. At first he asked Leonidas to join him and offered him the kingship of all of Greece. Leonidas answered:

If you knew what is good in life, you would abstain from wishing for foreign things. For me it is better to die for Greece than to be monarch over my compatriots.
    Then Xerxes asked him more forcefully to surrender their arms. To this Leonidas gave his noted answer:

Μολών Λαβέ
    (pronounced: /molɔːn labe/)
    Loosely translated: Come take them!

*edit* not loosely translated, my bad

13. Malum Prohibitum

I mean in this "300" movie. I am not sure that the words occur in the graphic novel (have not read it). By the way, there were several thousand non-Spartans there, so there were more than "300."

14. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I am sure that phrase does make a appearance in the movie. I can't imagine a screenwriter leaving out such a good line off dialouge. In the trailer there is a section where Dienekes responds to the fact that Persian arrows would bock out the sun with, "Good, then we'll have our battle in the shade." :bowdown: (this is supported by historical texts relating the events)

There were 300 Spartans at the battle, with 700 Thespian volunteers, against an estimated:
    Infantry 1,700,000
    Cavalry 80,000
    Arabs and Libyans 20,000
    Greek puppet troops 324,000

It is likely that there where more than 1,000 defenders, but the numbers of the Spartans are likely accurate, as King Leonidas only took men who had young children who could continue on the family lines.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Do you mean that I should be reading books?

Can I count my daily reading? GPDO, GCO, Glock Talk, High Point Forum, The High Road, Gunbroker....... Etc....Etc...Etc....

16. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

By all means NOOOOOOO!! Reading leads to thinking and other cognitive functions of our animal brains. We would rather you watch "reality TV" and worry about the latest life developments of paris hiltons/brittney spears/k-fed/tomcat/ and the latest in the Rosie VS Trump saga :puke:

17. Malum Prohibitum

They used thespians? No wonder they lost! Who would fight a battle with a bunch of stupid left wing, anti-self defense actors!?!

:lol:

18. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Did someone call me?

Currently re-reading Principles of Personal Defense - Jeff Cooper

19. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I know this is bait, but I'll bite anyways :mrgreen:
    Although citizens of Thespiae are called Thespians, the common word thespian (meaning an actor) comes not from this city but from the legendary first actor, Thespis.

20. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within by Bruce Bawer. It's interesting how Islam crept into Europe and no one paid any attention. Now they are in crisis mode. The same will happen here if we don't wake up.

The Global War on Your Guns: Inside the UN Plan To Destroy the Bill of Rights by Wayne LaPierre. A good book on how other countries want to control the US and our right to arms.

I must say I am a little disturbed at the times we live in. Things are spiraling out of control and our government doesn't seem to listen to its' people. :(