What are the transportation laws?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by MCM&P, Sep 21, 2007.

1. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

I would like to go to one of the local indoor ranges to shoot my new pistol. However, I am still waiting for my GFL to come in the mail. So what are the laws on transporting a pistol to the range. Surely I don't have to wait for my GFL do I? What, do I have to have it in a locked case, unloaded, and the ammo seperate of the case? What what what? :D

2. ntech

ntech Member

This was taken from http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=GA

I believe as long as you are not a felon, or ineligible to obtain a GFL, you may transport a loaded pistol in the glove compartment, or similar console of your vehicle. I believe it has to have a locking lid.

If you are one of those worrysome types, the safest bet would be to carry the weapon unloaded, with breach locked back, in plain view, out of reach in your vehicle.

Your walk from the car to the range would apply to number 4. Keep the firearm in its case, unloaded, breach locked back, and separated from its ammunition in plain view. I believe you would have the permission of the owner of the range to be carrying the pistol on the parking lot property, so you should be good to go.

However, I am not a lawyer read at your own risk!

3. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

Thanks for the reply, and taking the time to copy and paste a link.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You know that "Gun Laws" button at the top of every page had the answer too.

5. ntech

ntech Member

Okay okay this too.

6. wwomack

wwomack New Member

There is no requirement in Georgia law that the console/glove compartment must have a locking lid. There is also no requirement that the firearm be unloaded.

7. ntech

ntech Member

I just remembered a case somewhere in this forum where a man was arrested for having a pistol in the door compartment. I believe the police officer arrested him for ccw because the door compartment didn't have a lid. The guy didn't have a GFL. Maybe one of our forum genies can rescue the link for me. Or maybe I am crazy.

8. wwomack

wwomack New Member

From reading the law it is implied that it has to have a lid but there is no requirement that it be locked or be able to be locked.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

This view is supported by case law. A similar compartment is one that has a "Latching" lid. Does not have to lock. This is where the myth of 3 Steps begins (IMHO).

10. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

Geesh...the law makers really need to get their head out of their butts. So much gray areas concerning weapons. I mean this state you have to have a license, this one you don't. This state you can carry a weapon as long as it's locked up in a compartment and away from ammo, this one you can carry it loaded as long as it's in a compartment. Can't we all just go back to the good ole Wild West days? :lol: I mean first I thought there were two licenses, GFL, and a CCW and later learned it was pretty much the same thing here in Ga. so I only needed a GFL. Now I learn I can carry my pistol loaded as long as it's in my glove box or center console? I thought that was a concealed weapon that requires a license! You just about have to be a lawyer to understand it :lol: I can somewhat understand why it is confusing for some of these LEO's, maybe some of them are coming from different states too. :roll:

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If he would have had a GFL, he would have been legal. With a GFL you can put your gun anywhere in your car.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You mean Lindsey v. State. Yes, no lid, so you can see the gun (the case said the officer saw it) means the gun is concealed. Lid, so the officer cannot see the gun, means it is not concealed.

Get it? :D

13. ntech

ntech Member

I'm going to have to think about that one a while, let it sink in. :?

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Don't try to rationalize it, you will just give yourself a headache.