What are the benefits of filling out the weapon's license application online?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Steak_Butter, Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Steak_Butter

Steak_Butter New Member

Is it faster? How soon will the probate court contact you? Why does an online application exist if you are still going to be needed to pay and fingerprinted in person?

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

You put yourself into the list. Saves them the time so they can do it with all the rest. Makes the govt more efficient.

Nemo

3. Steak_Butter

Steak_Butter New Member

Would it be alright to go to the probate court as soon as I complete my online application to finish the rest of the steps? Or is it better to just do everything in person? I want to get my WCL in the most efficient and fastest way possible. Sorry if I sound eager but I'm just excited that I will be given more opportunities to exercise my 2nd amendment right.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It probably does not matter. Nothing happens until you complete the application and get fingerprinted and have your background check done. However you go about getting to that point is up to you and is not going to change things much. You are asking about how to go about doing the front end (applying) when the long pole in the tent is what happens on the back end (background check run, sent to probate judge, and reviewed and acted upon). Your part can only affect things by minutes, maybe hours. You still have to go there in person, so whether you have already done the application does not really matter. The back end is going to take longer.

5. superprime

superprime Member

I just got mine again. Took about 20 mins from parking to leaving. Did it all in person.

6. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

It depends on the county. Some counties process in a few days, others will sit on the application until they are made to comply. Read the law, know your timelines, and hold your officials accountable. In my case, Fulton county was at 70+ days when I called inquiring about the progress. I casually asked where do I send the process server. I got the license in the mail three days later.

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

According to your profile, you aren't old enough to apply for a carry license. You must be 21 or older or 18-20 if you've been in the military.

OCGA 16-11-129(b)(2)(A)
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

BTW, http://www.georgiacarry.org/ is an excellent resource for Georgia's gun laws. You should consider joining. Best $20 you'll spend.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

21 on Tuesday 01/07/2020

9. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Sounds like my 21 birthday. Woke up, got my license changed, applied for my carry permit, then bought my first handgun and spent a couple hours at the range with it.