What are my options: small-ish 9mm?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Boy Racer, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

What are my options for a small-ish, single stack 9mm carry gun for the wife? Looking for SA/DA, single stack, 8 shots (7+1 OK), with an active safety. Preferably sub-$600, good condition used OK.

Does anyone here have a compact EAA Witness?

2. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Walther PPS?

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a compact Witness, but Claire recently got the compact CZ 75, the base design for the Witness. It may be a bit big for carry, though.

If you want to let your wife try out my Hk, let me know. It's slim, 8+1, and has a very easy to use safety. You can get one sub-$600 from the recent crop of police trade-ins. It's not SA/DA, either, but that's not really an issue.

If you're lucky, you could also find a used Kahr PM9 around that price. They're nice little guns, though I wouldn't pick it for any serious range time or for long distance shooting. Also, it's DAO.

I also like the CZ RAMI, but it's not single stack.

4. tace

tace New Member

Kel-Tec PF-9, Walther PPS, Kahr CW9 or PM9

5. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Sig p239 My girlfriend has one she likes but it's in .40

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1 on the 239.

7. Rolan_Kraps

Rolan_Kraps Member

SIG P239 is a great gun, but lacks an external safety. Also a good choice would be the new S&W M&P Compact in 9mm. It's almost as slim as the single stack SIG P239, but holds 12 rounds.

I have both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Kahr CW9 or PM9,

I'd prefer an MK9 because the steel-framed Kahrs have a better rep than the polymer ones.

But like the Sig 239 it lacks an external safety switch. Safety is trigger control.

the CZ RAMI is a good option, its a bit fatter.

Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna has a good selection, they normally have quite a few Kahrs and also the CZ's...

or..... J-frame ??

9. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

It does have a decocker so putting the hammer down is safe. I don't think having a safety in DA mode is really necessary.

10. budder

This is a wife gun and if she ever puts it in her purse without a good seating in a good holster, a DA pull may not be enough. Yes, the safety could get flipped off just as easily, but it's one extra precaution he'll have.

11. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

The HK P7 is fairly purse-proof, as is the equally odd P9S.

Beretta M series, too.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Walther P99QA. I love that gun ;-)

13. budder

Yeah, but the P9 is really expensive! A decent used one is pretty much going to run over 700, while a good P7 can be had for 500-600.

What is the Beretta M series? Do you mean the medium frame autos?

14. Claire

Claire New Member

budder - i don't have a holster right now - so the only choice for me to carry would be in my hand ;)

15. ThetaReactor

The Type M is the single-stack [8rd] variant of the 92 Compact L.

16. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I've been using a Star BM 9mm for compact carry. It's my last 9mm and will get traded out when the next .40 cal bug strikes.

[​IMG]

All steel so there's not much recoil, single stack magazine so the grip is quite slim. The thumb safety works with the hammer in either the up or down position which gives a secure feeling when it's in condition 2.

17. ThetaReactor

Good idea, except for the condition two thing. Any 1911-ish 9mm would work well, though I'd give the super-compact models a thorough testing.

18. ev239

ev239 New Member

Don't forget to check out the Taurus line. Their Millenium Pro PT111, although it's a double stack, is fairly slim (1.125"), compact, light and has an external safety. You can get it SA/DA and also DAO I believe. Their .40 & .45 models are almost exactly the same. They even have a single stack .45 (model PT745) if your wife wanted to try a larger caliber.

I don't own any Taurus firearms, but I've read some good things.
    http://gunblast.com/Taurus_PT111.htm
    http://gunblast.com/Taurus-PT145.htm

19. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

True enough, I don't believe in Condition Two for carry, but it's nice to be able to put on the safety without the hammer having to be cocked while at home. I bought it for the ex-wife, she had a problem operating DA autos and revolvers. That woman used to unload the first revolver and the bullets would always get lost in her knicker's drawer and she wanted to do the same with the magazine, too.

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

True enough, I don't believe in Condition Two for carry, but it's nice to be able to put on the safety without the hammer having to be cocked while at home. I bought it for the ex-wife, she had a problem operating DA autos and revolvers. That woman used to unload the first revolver and the bullets would always get lost in her knicker's drawer and she wanted to do the same with the magazine, too.[/quote:lulatf2x]

You don't carry with one in the chamber? Just trying to clarify what you're saying.