What about Sunday?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by mzmtg, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Are places that serve alcohol still off limits on Sundays when they can't serve it? (...where such a uselss law exists)

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I would say you are fine since there would be no selling and no consumption on Sunday.

3. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

On a somewhat related note...

I have wondered about a very nice restaurant that I've been to in a dry county (White county, I think). They cannot sell wine; however, many patrons BYOB, and their waiter opens and pours it for them. They do charging a "corking" fee to open the wine.

Doesn't the law say, "sold for consumption on the premises?" Would the fee to open the bottle meet the definition of "sold" in the law so that you could not carry there?

Obviously just an academic question as I don't think many people will be too excited that they can carry at what might be a small handful of very small restaurants in dry counties in rural GA.

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Did someone just find a loophole in the notorius public gathering law? :? :lol:

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I have been to some restaurants that don't sell any alcohol, but that allow patrons to bring their own wine, which the restaurant will open and pour. It seems to me such establishments would not count as public gatherings.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

What if They're Closed

What about people carrying at places that normally sell alcoholic beverages during certain hours, but the carrying in question takes place after the business is closed for the day, thus during a time frame (of at least several hours, if not 12-14 hours) when NO BEVERAGES ARE SOLD, but during which time some employees may have to remain at work to clean, process paperwork, re-stock the food in the freezer, etc?

This would not only be an issue as to employees, but also to their parents, spouses, and friends who may want to carry on their person or in their vehicles as they arrive to pick up or drop off the employee at the restaurant or pub in question.

If I had a girlfriend who worked at a bar and would not be getting off from work until 3 am, even if the bar closed at midnight and "last call" was quarter of twelve, I would certainly WANT to carry. Do you think I could do it legally without violating the "public gatherings" law?

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Well, the law says establishments at which alcoholic beverages "are sold," not "are being sold," nor "are available for sale." I'd say a plain reading of that statute would weigh against the "but it wasn't open for business" defense.