What about Hotels?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by geaux_tigers, Jul 20, 2006.

1. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Here is one I hadn't thought about before. A buddy of mine was vacationing out west just recently and mentioned that room service at a hotel in which he stayed would deliver beer and mixed drinks to his room.

Are hotels off limits if room service will deliver to your room? What if they have liquor available for sale in a mini-bar in your room? What if the hotel operates a resturant or bar on the premises that serves alcohol?

Seems to me that under the current law ("establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises") carrying to and while in your hotel room could be a crime. Say it ain't so... :(

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

geaux-tigers, you have identified yet another problem with the public gathering law!

It does not defy logic that someone might be arrested in any of the scenarios you describe.

Would it stick? Who knows. It seems to me that least likely to stick is being in your own hotel room. Most likely -- being in the lobby or other common area near the bar.

If you decide to make yourself a test case, by all means let us know. :lol:

3. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Its more likely that I would become the test case through a decision made by someone other than myself. :wink:

4. kkennett

kkennett New Member

That is a fascinating question. Given Georgia's broad definition of 'habitation', seems like a hotel room would likely fall within that. Depending on how you use your hotel room, raiding the mini bar in the right company could surely be a gathering.

As an aside, South Carolina specifically allows for this. Without a permit, you can carry in the glove box of your car, and concealed from the car to any room you have rented and paid hotel tax upon. As jrm rightly puts it, yet another problem.