What a DEAL on a safe!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Tinkerhell, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Been saving up & shopping around for a gun safe for a couple of months. Bass Pro had a sale going on for a nice Redhead safe regularly priced for $830 on sale for $700. I was considering getting this when the rep I was talking to suggested I check in the clearance dept.
    Nothing.
    But the lady said they were going to get about 10 more in sometime this week. I left my # and she said she would call AND recommended that I show up ASAP when they do call because they go fast once they are in.

Got the call about lunchtime today and rushed over. They had the exact safe I was looking at for $500. It has a few scratches on it. That's it. I signed up for a bass pro credit card & got $50 more off of it. Almost 1/2 off for the safe. SWEEEET!

Now I just gotta find help unloading it from my truck tomorrow. 510lbs ain't easy to move around. :?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Wish I could help...You're a couple hours away. :(

3. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Having gone through the same thing recently, here are my words of wisdom.
    Get someone else to do it :D
    Failing that, rent or borrow appliance dolly.
    If you have stairs (more than one in any location), get an appliance dolly w/ an electric lift. Practice with it before you try negotiating the stairs w/ a safe.
    Consider not sliding it over or on your tailgate unless it can take the weight. If not, remove it.
    Plan on drilling the floor and bolting that sucker down. A hammer drill makes short work of concrete. A regular drill with a masonry bit will suck. It'll work, but it will suck.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Tink,

Ya just KNOW I'd love to help, but I've got this back........

err knee problem.

Yeah, dat's it!

Da knees are shot!

I'd help if only I could...

How about some pictures so I'll know what fun I missed? I'm sure da udder guys would also havel a similar need to know..........

Sooooooooo. Good luk to youse younges punks an' punkettes!!! Wear youselves outt!!!

:oldtimer:

5. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

sorry can't help either but would second getting someone else to do it. i had a friend who moved one recently and broke the tailgate of a chevy z71. it is too heavy to handle easily. the next time he moved he hired a moving company to do it. they didn't charge too much. it was much cheaper than replacing the tailgate on his other friend's truck and he didn't have to carry anything himself.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

What floor are you putting it on?

This guy has a good idea:

:shock:

[​IMG]

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

If you can wait until I come back that way to drop off the GCO signage for the show, I'd be happy to help you move it.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Thanks for all the help offers!
    So far I've got it as far as my garage. Hit u-haul & rented a 12' trailer for $9.95. Piece of cake to get it unloaded and no worry over damage to my tail gate (I had already fretted about that). I've got one of those super heavy duty dollys and can easily move the safe around with that. Getting it up the 13 stairs to the main floor of my house is another thing however... The wifey & I couldn't do it. I'm going to have a "come over to dinner and help move my safe" party sometime shortly and invite a few (big) friends to hang out for the evening in exchange for a few minutes of elbow grease. :wink:

It's going on my main floor - wood floor over a crawlspace. I think I shouldn't have any problems with the floor being solid enough. Don't worry though if it turns out I'm wrong I'll be sure to post lots of embarrasing pics of the hole it causes & the safe sitting in my crawlspace...
    I doubt I'll bolt it down. It's 500 pounds empty and not easy to get out of the house. If someone has the time & manpower to move it I am going to give them credit enough to go under my house & cut the bolts & have the proper tools to do it easily enough.

9. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Or they could just torch the house and remove the safe after. I imagine the guns might not be mint condition after that, though...

10. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Tink,
    I got one of their 1000 pounders about 5 months ago for about half off. I love my rehead. Let me recommend that you call Bass Pro and get a name of someone they use to move that sucker. I can't remember the name of the individual who went to BP and picked it up and drove from there to my house in Acworth and set it up in my gun room for $200. He only took 15 minutes max to get it set exactly where I wanted it, make sure if you get someone to do it for you that they don't try to sell you on bolting it to the floor, that is an absolute waist of good gun money. The thing is so heavy I don't think you have to worry about someone trying to steal it.
    :2cents:

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

:lol:
    That would be one determined thief! He is also going to be really disappointed when he opens it up & finds less that 5k in firearms & misc paperwork that means nothing for him.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

But his only cost is a match, easily obtainable for free from a restaurant.

That's a great ROI!