What’s a Cobray M11-Nine worth?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gunsmoker, Mar 1, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

What is a like new SWD Cobray M11/Nine semi auto (closed bolt) pistol worth?

It’s been fired about 50 rounds in last 29 years since it was made. One owner. In original box with all accessories— owners manual, mag loader, 32-rd Zytel mag, little 11-rd mag, cleaning rod, and shoulder strap.

I looked at Gunbroker, but didn’t see any ones of this age (made in Atlanta in 1989), or with the box and original accessories.

2. gunsmoker

Thanks!

I see prices on Gunbroker are all over the map. The "asking price" can be as high as $1200 for these older semi-auto pistols (made before even the first federal assault weapon ban). But the actual selling prices seem to be more like $500.
    That one you found for $450 in the box with a bunch of accessories seems like a great deal.

I think this gun sold for $225 back in 1990.

If I only wanted to keep pace with inflation, I'd have to get $430 today. That's based on the consumer price index and the buying power of the dollar over the last 28 years.
    https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

If I wanted this gun to give as good a return on investment (ROI) as a $225 investment in the stock market (S&P 500) over the same time period, it would have to be worth $1463. ($1238 yield/ gain, plus the original $225 selling price).
    https://dannyvankooten.com/stock-market-roi-calculator/

LESSON: Guns don't always pay off as a wise investment. Even ones that are the subject of legislation that restrict new ones but leave the old ones unregulated, and even when more legislation is looming, and even when you keep the gun in the box with all the accessories in like-new condition for 30 years. It doesn't appreciate the way real investments do.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

LOL! I bought a full auto, new in the box, never-fired Mac-11 from Cobray directly in the early 90s for six hundred bucks. They ran a bunch of receivers with serial numbers in 1986 before the deadline and were still selling them new in the 90s.

4. gunsmoker

Well, I think it's worth $500-$600. I really can't narrow the range down any more than that. Just not enough data points that are a good comparison.
    The fact that even the President and mainstream Republicans are talking about new laws against "assault weapons" should raise this gun's value. It's one of the kind of evil killing machines that has threaded barrels and weighs over 50 ounces, sure signs of a non-sporting handgun! Thus, it was of the type that was banned (and specifically named as a banned model) in the 1994 federal assault weapons ban and most states' corresponding state laws passed around the same time.
    But, they all had grandfather clauses.