wet brass

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by FRAMER, Oct 28, 2010.

1. FRAMER

FRAMER New Member

I been told that if the brass gets wet after shooting it, it is not good for reload.
    Is that true?

2. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

Um, no.

Just make sure it's not wet WHILE you are loading it.

3. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Actually, brass that has been exposed to the elements after firing won't be processed by the ammo suppliers we use. Atlanta Arms and Georgia Arms won't take it for reloading purposes...
    Whether or not you do it at home is up to you

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Clarify wet. ;)

There is wet as in dew from the grass or cleaning (ultrasonic cleaner, steel pin tumbler, soap & water agitation), and then there is wet that involves galvanic corrosion (found it in a lake, the tin bucket out back filled up with rain, etc) where you have pitting and oxidation. The former is not an issue, the latter may or may not yield good brass after cleaning, but you won't know until inspection.

5. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Some polishing systems use "wet" media, most use dry. I polish all my brass before reloading to clean and dry it. I loathe scratching from grit on my reloads! It plugs the dies too. Water does not damage brass, except after the long exposure.

6. FRAMER

FRAMER New Member

Personally, I do not reload.
    But I do sell it. I did not want to sell bad brass.

7. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I've been using the RCBS Sidewinder case tumbler for like 20 years, with the RCBS wet cleaning media. Basically just a concentrate you mix with water, fill the tumbler and let it roll baby. Does a great job cleaning cases, and can be used multiple times over if you filter it after each use. I dry the cases in the sun on a large aluminum sheet in the summer, or in an oven during the winter. No problems with the cases over all this time.

8. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Getting brass wet shouldn't hurt anything. Letting it sit out in the elements and get wet repeatedly will.

9. FRAMER

FRAMER New Member

thank you for the information.

10. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Yes that is very true. Now send me all your wet brass so I can properly dispose of it!

(I shoot black powder cartridges and use water to clean and reuse....just like back in the 1870's :righton: )

11. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

I came here by mistake. I did not see the extra "s" on brass and thought this thread was about women in wet bras.

I am disappointed. :wink:

12. FRAMER

FRAMER New Member

maybe some other time. not sure if mods will like that too.