Westboro Baptist Church (WBC)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by NetAdminWithGun, Apr 20, 2007.

1. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Anybody just about ready for some "target practice"?

How these people can call themselves Christians just completely baffles me. I believe Christians should follow the teachings of Jesus and no where did He ever say it's OK to hate anyone. Not gays, not even the people who killed him. These people are no different than the Taliban. Both groups use religion to excuse hatred.

Fortunately, they haven't started building car-bombs! Yet...

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Just another example of how the country is going down the toilet.

I dont think this kind of crap happened 40 years ago. Although we didnt have as many diverse immigrants with radical religious beliefs coming here in masses either.

I hope I never meet these people protesting.

4. merlock

merlock New Member

I've noticed that the MSM just about gives them a free pass. :evil:

I wonder if that pass would be extended if they turned their sights on Planned Parenthood or other 'pro-choice' oganizations?

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I'm surprised they haven't gone after groups like that. It dertainly seems to fit their mind set.

I wonder if they ever read this part of the book?

"Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these, my brethren, you did it to me." Matthew 25

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

All christians pick and choose the parts they like and don't like.

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

It's not just Christians...

I give you the entire, whole damn middle east, Iraq in particular, as one example. Afganistan as nother. Turkey as nothers, Northern India as another. Several of those former USSR countries I can neither spell nor pronounce as others.

I could probably think of even more, as could you.

Religions have done much good for mankind, but also much evil.

8. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Ramm,
    I take you to task on that statement about ALL christians, because I am a christian but I beleive in ALL the bible and don't discount any part of it. It is true that there is enough dirt in everybodies mind to grow anything but to state ALL would be like me saying ALL colledge graduates and those about to be are stupid. I don't consider you to be stupid because you seem very inteligent to me. Please don't think I am offended in any way because I understand where you are coming from and I do respect your opinion, so please don't put some of us in with the extreme side.
    :D :D :D :D :D

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

You mean one of those countries where Borat is from? :lol:

10. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I'm with tj2000. Not "ALL" Christians pick and choose. I understand your statement because the media focuses mostly on the wacko's and you probably have met many Christians that fall into that category.

Christians aren't perfect. I think some people DON'T believe in Jesus Christ because they've met too many Christians who think they are!! haha

Much trouble comes when a Christian is filled with pride instead of humility. As seems to be the case with these guys at WBC.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Not to turn this into a religious thread, but.....yes, all christians pick and choose what they believe.

Even the Bible picks and chooses. There are some gospels that were left out. wait wait wait. That doesn't compute. Some gospels were left out of the Bible? I thought they came from the inspired word of God. I guess not.

I am sure you do not believe in Noah actually building an ark to house two of every animal. Just as you don't believe in:

Leviticus, chapter 19:19 - don't wear blended fabrics

Leviticus, chapter 20:13 - kill the homos

Leviticus, chapter 20:9 - talk back to mommy and daddy and get killed

Leviticus, chapter 23:3 you cannot work on a sunday. period.

Exodus, chapter 21:7 - sell your daughter.

Exodus, chapter 35:2 - anyone working on the sabbath gets killed.

Corinthians, chapter 11:14 - people with long hair are shameful (didn't that jesus guy have long hair?)

And my personal favorite:

Leviticus, chapter 24:16 - talk bad about our god and everyone in the congregation (including strangers) must stone the blasphemer to death.

I am sure none of you religious folk go around stoning people for bad mouthing your god. But if you do not, you are picking and choosing what you want to believe. And if you believe in god and believe that god is infallible and further believe that the bible is the word of god you are compelled by your creator to obey his laws. Lest you go to the fiery place.

Yours in Christ,
    Rammstein

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Hey Ramm, what part of Statesboro are you located in? :lol: :twisted: :lol:
    BTW: I am kidding, put that Glock away! 8)

Ramm,
    All I can tell you is that I am saved by the blood of Jesus Christ. Salvation through him is the only way. No one is perfect and we all fall short of God's grace. To me, the Old Testament is more historical and it gives a basis for the coming of Christ...but it is the word of God. Many of the laws help one live a moral life. Look at the 10 commandments. Even a non-believer would have a hard time picking most of these apart. Do you think it is right to murder, lie, steal, sleep with another's spouse? Do you think it is right to covet, or be disrespectful to your parents? Whether you believe God said this or not....these are very relevant to our daily life. I know that you are going to come back and tell me that I am picking and choosing. And you are right I am. I am not going to kill those that blasphemy or are homosexual. I am going to pray for those folks instead because that is the example that Jesus set. I can't judge people of their sins, only God can. As Jesus said, "Those without sin, cast the first stone."

13. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Brother Rammstein, ;)

I do believe in God and believe that God is infallible. And I further believe that the Bible is infallible and is the inspired Word of God and that I am compelled by my Creator to obey His laws or else end up in Hell. But I also know that I do not and can not live up to His standards, for He is perfect and I am not. Which is why I'm thankful and grateful that he provides a way of salvation through the sacrificial blood of Jesus Christ. So by the grace of God, I will not get what I deserve. And I daily try to improve myself and follow His commandments.

There are many people and entire organizations out to discredit Jesus and the Bible and come up with their own conclusions for life and what happens. I've heard tons of 'em, including many of the ones you mentioned. It seems easier sometimes to debate the Bible instead of submitting to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. People can choose not to believe the truth, but that does not change the truth :)

I pray for those who reject God, that they may come to know everlasting life through Jesus Christ. And He wants that too. As Peter says, "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." - (2 Peter 3:9)

14. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Ramm,
    I agree this should not turn to a religious debate because the only real way to find out who wins is after we die.
    However if you truly beleive that ALL christains beleive only parts by picking and choosing then you are way off base. I think it's funny how you pick and choose to take portions of the bible for your argument. In fact I never once quoted any parts of the bible. My take is, you still are WRONG to lump ALL christains in your flawed veiw. But thats what is so cool about us as individuals, we are free to pick and choose lots of things. Don't be insulted be me or take offense from anyone on this great website. I just love a good stimulating conversation.
    One thing I think you and I really can agree on is GUN'S ROCK.
    Not bad for a 51 year old man huh?
    \:D/ \:D/
    Take care,

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Without reading any of the above posts I want to make it clear that I am not anti-religion. I recognize that for many people religion is a very positive thing in their life and through their beliefs they have a positive impact on the community around them.

I however choose a different path. That is partly because as I a child Catholicism was shoved down my throat. I find that I can be a moral person and do the right thing in life without religion.

But now I'll respond to individual posts.

16. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Sir,
    I salute you in your convictions. As a former catholic I completely understand you, however your journey is not over until you breath your last breath on this earth.
    I hope you make it to a very old age because just like the wind blows, you will find that some of your beliefs will change. It's our very nature that makes them change.
    Take care,
    :) :) :)

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Someone wants to get me stoned to death? \:D/ I kid I kid.

Doc,

I disagree that the Old Testament is historically accurate, and science is gonna side with me on this one.

I think it is fair to say that the concept of not murdering and stealing predates christianity and is not exclusive to it. A lack of religion does not mean that somehow murdering becomes a little more acceptable.

I am a secular humanist. I can sum up the main points of the Ten Commandments in three words: do no harm. That is how I live my life.

I disagree about not judging people. It is how we defend ourselves. Every day we make split second decisions about people. Do I have to worry about the homeless guy hounding people for change or the business man in a three piece suit. Judging people is how we as a species survived.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

iwb32,

If the bible is the truth all I can ask for is proof. Proof is all I ever want.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

tj2000,

I suppose you are right in that it is unfair to lump all christians into one group. There probably are some people who believe in and practice everything in the bible. It is just my belief that the vast majority do not follow every command of the bible. And I am glad that the vast majority don't.

I may change my views in the future. But I don't see that as very likely. Logically, I can't work through any organized religion. I have sat for hours working everything over in my head and the closest I can come is accepting the possibility that there is a creator of everything, but that he just set events in motion and does not manipulate anything.

I reject all organized religion as fundamentally flawed. If I were ever to become a believer it would probably only be having a conversation with god without having to go to a church, temple, or mosque and dealing with ceremony.

20. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Ramm,
    He has set everything in motion. You have to remember "the issue is not the issue, but who's in controll".
    I do have to say, I read up on secular humanism:
    What Is Secular Humanism?
    Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty years to describe a world view with the following elements and principles:
    • A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.
    • Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.
    • A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.
    • A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.
    • A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.
    • A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.
    • A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

I must say that, all I beleive in is God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit and Gods word the bible. It just seems simpler that way, because there is not so much searching. I guess I am basically lazy and don't want to have to go through all that searching for what makes me who I am.
    Like I said early on, "we truly won't know until we take the eternal dirt nap.
    Take care,
    :?: :?: :?: :?: