Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
I didn't know that Harriet Tubman carried a firearm. While they taught about her when I was in public school, they out that part.

http://www.harriettubmanbiography.com/harriet-tubman-myths-and-facts.html

"Fact: Harriet Tubman carried a small pistol with her on her rescue missions, mostly for protection from slave catchers, but also to encourage weak-hearted runaways from turning back and risking the safety of the rest of the group. Tubman carried a sharp-shooters rifle during the Civil War."

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
"We're not gangster"

Here's a bit of history for you. You're looking at my family's ancestral log cabin, built in 1798. My ancestors were abolitionists, and this house was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad. They didn't keep a guest registry, but anecdotal evidence suggests that Harriet Tubman was a frequent visitor. See the photo with the cutout in the wall and ladder underneath? That leads to secret cellar where runaway slaves were hidden on their way to freedom.

I would think that Harriett Tubman would have likely carried out of necessity for her own safety. It was a pretty dangerous mission.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I didn't know that Harriet Tubman carried a firearm. While they taught about her when I was in public school, they out that part.
I used to work with a young black girl with the last name of Tubman. One day, I asked her if she was related to Harriet and she said yes. We talked about Harriet for a bit, and then I said something like "I bet you get asked that all the time".

And she said "No, you're the first person to ever ask me".

I thought that was kinda sad. Harriet was the kind of person we need more of in this country. She should be a role model.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts

·
PawPaw x 3
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
69,784 Posts

Here's a bit of history for you. You're looking at my family's ancestral log cabin, built in 1798. My ancestors were abolitionists, in this house was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad. They didn't keep a guest registry, but anecdotal evidence suggests that Harriet Tubman was a frequent visitor. See the photo with the cutout in the wall and ladder underneath? That leads to secret cellar where runaway slaves were hidden on their way to freedom.

I would think that Harriett Tubman would have likely carried out of necessity for her own safety. It was a pretty dangerous mission.
Too bad nobody kept a journal or recorded history. Where this building located?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Too bad nobody kept a journal or recorded history. Where this building located?
Can't blame them though. Even in Ohio, it wasn't safe to keep such evidence.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Point?
Did you read the article?
The article is the point.
Yes, I read the article. I still don't get your point. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with it?

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,697 Posts
In the article, the gentleman said this, regarding an armed robbery he experienced as a retail manager:

I'm glad I wasn't armed. Who knows? If I took that person's life, how would I live with that the rest of my life? Even though it's self-defense.
I don't really understand that thinking. That lack of a desire to preserve one's own life, that desire to refuse to be victimized, is disturbing to me. It's just odd to me.

No one wants to take a life, but no one wants to get killed by a thug, either. I guess he has the freedom to choose. Weird way to think, though.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the article, the gentleman said this, regarding an armed robbery he experienced as a retail manager:

I don't really understand that thinking. That lack of a desire to preserve one's own life, that desire to refuse to be victimized, is disturbing to me. It's just odd to me.

No one wants to take a life, but no one wants to get killed by a thug, either. I guess he has the freedom to choose. Weird way to think, though.
I concur

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
It's the baseless empathy syndrome. You don't want to kill someone, so you make yourself helpless and unable to save your own life.

Look, I'd rather a criminal thug not target me, so I could avoid shooting them, but my empathy for their life ends right at the point where they threaten mine.

If I have to pull the trigger on a criminal to save a life, I can assure you that I will NOT be seeking any "counseling" or any other emotional or mental support. I won't need it. I will sleep well that same night.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,176 Posts
I suspect that if he were actually put in the situation of being robbed while armed he would think differently.

Nemo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.