Went to Wilson Shoals WMA Shooting Range today (9/14/16)

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by joeelyfan, Sep 14, 2016.

1. joeelyfan

joeelyfan Gun Owner

My brother-in-law and I went shooting at the Wilson Shoals WMA Shooting Range today (9/14/16). It took about an hour to drive there from the point where Jimmy Carter Blvd crosses I-85, and we arrived about 11:50.
    Only about 50% of the shooting stations were occupied when we arrived, so we were able to get on one right away. The entire range was very clean, and the range officer was welcoming and friendly. He did check to see that we both had a Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass (GORP). As we were setting our range bags on the table, a "cease fire" for changing targets just happened to be called, and the range officer came over and asked that we first go set out our targets and then come back and sign in on the range's clipboard. We went and grabbed two of the wooden target stands that were already present and sitting off to the side. The target stands were in really good shape, certainly better than I expected. We used our own staple gun to attach our own targets to the target stands. (I should note that the total number of target stands I could see -- either in use or sitting available off to the side -- appeared to be less than the total number of shooting positions at the range, so it might be a good idea to bring your own target stand just in case all the range-provided ones are being used when you get there.) After setting up our targets, we went and signed in on the clipboard, and we started shooting as soon as the range officer announced about a minute later that the range was "hot."
    We shot for about 25 to 30 minutes, and then there was a "cease fire" called to change targets. We shot for another 25 to 30 minutes, and then, at the next "cease fire," we retrieved our targets, packed up, swept up our brass, and left to drive home. We were at the range about an hour and 20 minutes total.
    All in all it was a pleasant experience, and well worth the time it takes to drive there and back.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Thank you for posting this.
    I've been to Wilson Shoals a number of times, and it gets better and better.
    I have not been there in a few years, though.

Do they still have a row of piled dirt as a close-range backstop (25 yds?), or is the one and only backstop the side of that mountain some 80 yards from the firing line?

3. joeelyfan

joeelyfan Gun Owner

Yes, there is a dirt berm that is a few feet high sitting about 25 or so yards away from and running parallel with the firing line. The far end of the range is, as you said, cut out of the side of a small mountain. The official distance to the end of the range is 75 yards, but I saw a comment/review/post somewhere that said it was lasered at 84 yards.