Went commando last night...or is it "Mexican"?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by dunkel, Nov 14, 2010.

1. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Yup, carried sans holster. Went out to eat with the wife with my P220 in a Desantis thumb break scabbard as usual. Saw the "no guns" sign on the door at TGI Fridays. Probably should have just left, but the wife really wanted to go (we don't go out very often), and they were doing something for Veterans Day, so I said screw it, went back to the car, dumped the holster (which is pretty obvious, even if it's covered with a t-shirt) and tucked it in crossdraw. I had to sit straight up through the dinner as slouching was quite uncomfortable, but it otherwise went smoothly.

So I learned a valuable lesson there...while it's not going to be my first choice, holster-less carry is an option. It's not going to fall out or down the front of my pants or anything like that. And I RE-learned a carry lesson, as well...carrying a gun should be comfortING, even if it's not necessarily comfortABLE.

Oh, and of course I learned that TGI Fridays is not going to get anymore of my money, even if they did give me a free steak and a $5 gift card.

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Why did you get the free steak and card?

3. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

He's either in the military or a veteran.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

About your needing to ditch the holster to conceal.... I find the same is true even for IWB concealment holsters. The nylon or leather they're made of is THICK, and adds 1/2" or so to the thickness of the weapon. This is significant. Then here's that huge clip that shows, too. Hopefully the shape of the clip might be mistaken for a cellphone or pager on your belt. (okay, so nobody uses pagers anymore. Except those of us with the Pager Pal holster!)

5. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

I have a clipdraw on my Kahr P9; it works pretty well for holsterless carry and is quite secure.

Feels a little weird at first, but it's not uncomfortABLE and it is very comfortING.

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

One of the first, and still most convenient holsters I use for my Glock is the inexpensive Glock "Sport" holster.
    [​IMG]

There isn't much out there that's thinner.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Kel-Tec P-11 fits in that holster well too.

8. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

I do this often in situations like that! 5 1/2 inch barrel. Can't get to it while sitting though. Loading gate is open and keeps it from falling further in pocket. Quick flip with the index finger and its ready to go. :evil:
    [​IMG]

9. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

When I CC I can general pull and keep my shirt over my full size 1911 in my Comp-Tac CTAC holster with no issue. No one ever looks close enough to see it under the shirt and, if the shirt is loose, they'd never see it anyway. If they do end up noticing I don't really care. Most of the time my CC'ing is done with a Galco shoulder holster.

10. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

I frequently carry a Glock 26 IWB at 4-5 o'clock and nobody has said they noticed it. With the standard 10-round magazine, the cant of the holster keeps it from printing. The 15-round magazine is somewhat noticeable with a thin shirt.

11. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i can just picture it now, someone coming up and saying "is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" and then you respond with "yes its a gun, and no, im not happy to see you". :mrgreen:

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I carried my J-frame in my right front pocket without a holster for a bit yesterday. I liked the slimness of it without the holster, but it kept rotating from vertical to horizontal.

I may get a clipdraw to try on it.

13. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Pocket holsters serve a practical purpose just like a bra. I'm not carrying a 642 without a pocket holster just because it isn't required by law anymore just so I can feel liberated. The thing wants to roll forward without it.

14. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I have carried open into TGIF before and haven't had a word said to me. Most people don't even notice it, depending on what I wear and what I'm carrying. I would have chose OC with the chance of some liberal pin-head having something to say, over carrying with no holster. Not anything against you at all, I just don't think I would be comfortable (mentally, not physically) carrying without my holster.

I also do not eat there anymore because of that sign... unless the wife makes me!