Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago I dozed off downstairs and had my 1911 on the table next to me. During this time, my mom took her dog outside to go to the bathroom before she went to bed. I guess she didn't close the door enough for it to latch because when she went upstairs, a strong gust of wind blew the door open a few minutes later. I thought somebody just kicked in the backdoor and I jumped up, grabbed the 1911 and brought it up to eye level. Now I am here and I can't fall back asleep because of the adrenaline :(. Anybody here ever have something stupid like that happen to them?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
nearly identical. was up all night

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
Yep! This happens with the door leading out to our garage fairly often, almost anytime there is a lot of wind. Doggone thing will pop open, I hear the ding from our alarm system and I pop up with my firearm and search for the open door or window. Not a lot of fun to have all that adrenaline going, especially late at night.

For some reason that door will not shut well. You really have to work on it to get it to shut correctly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No opening doors, but... you know those packing bubbles Amazon uses? Kinda like little balloons, or really big bubble wrap. Hubby stepped on one the other night. He 'bout had to peel me off the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
lynx said:
No opening doors, but... you know those packing bubbles Amazon uses? Kinda like little balloons, or really big bubble wrap. Hubby stepped on one the other night. He 'bout had to peel me off the ceiling.
How about when your dog stumbles onto said bubble wrap, freaks out because of it, and runs full speed into the bedroom door.... when a 45 pound pitbull smacks into a solid core door at 0330... a 1911 will come up quickly..

No sleep for the rest of that night. Dingy sleeps in a crate now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My GF and I were sound asleep one night, and a clock-radio in the living room somehow managed to turn itself on about 3:00 a.m., and the radio came on at maximum volume. There was no one else in the house. I nearly had a heart attack. Even after checking every room, door, window, closet, cabinet and under every bed, I still couldn't go back to sleep.

Only thing we can figure, she accidentally changed the setting from "Off" to "Alarm" when she was dusting a few days earlier, and it took a couple of days for it to decide to "alarm". I unplugged it and removed the battery. It has been outside in the storage shed ever since.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I still lived in an apartment in ATL...

Late one evening I heard a key go into my door lock and some shuffling around outside. That got my attention.

I suspect it was a neighbor stumbling back from a bar and finding the wrong door. By the time I took a look through the peephole, there was nobody there.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
lespaulplayer said:
A little while ago I dozed off downstairs and had my 1911 on the table next to me. During this time, my mom took her dog outside to go to the bathroom before she went to bed. I guess she didn't close the door enough for it to latch because when she went upstairs, a strong gust of wind blew the door open a few minutes later. I thought somebody just kicked in the backdoor and I jumped up, grabbed the 1911 and brought it up to eye level. Now I am here and I can't fall back asleep because of the adrenaline :(. Anybody here ever have something stupid like that happen to them?
just last night...... i was here at the kitchen table eating a steak sammich. i locked the door and the deadbolt when i got home. my wife ALWAYS makes a ton of noise opening the door. well i was sitting here, and i see the dead bolt handle turning really slow and dead silent......... then the door flew open. i was already on one knee on the ground, looking out from behind the book shelf with gun in hand.

she almost pooped a brick..... i was pissed....... said she just wanted to scare me.......

·
16,485 Posts
308sniper said:
just last night...... i was here at the kitchen table eating a steak sammich. i locked the door and the deadbolt when i got home. my wife ALWAYS makes a ton of noise opening the door. well i was sitting here, and i see the dead bolt handle turning really slow and dead silent......... then the door flew open. i was already on one knee on the ground, looking out from behind the book shelf with gun in hand.

she almost pooped a brick..... i was pissed....... said she just wanted to scare me.......
Sounds like she succeeded.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
A few years back a picture fell off the wall in the middle of the night. Loud crash and the sound of breaking glass. My wife claims that I jumped out of bed and before my feet hit the floor, I had managed to put on shorts and grab a 1911 from the nightstand.

Similar thing happened to a friend. His wife says he didn't worry with the shorts. :lol:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
308sniper said:
said she just wanted to scare me.......
Usually not the best of ideas when the person you are scaring is known to be armed, lol.

ber950 said:
A few years back a picture fell off the wall in the middle of the night. Loud crash and the sound of breaking glass. My wife claims that I jumped out of bed and before my feet hit the floor, I had managed to put on shorts and grab a 1911 from the nightstand.

Similar thing happened to a friend. His wife says he didn't worry with the shorts. :lol:
Can't remember which podcast it was, but it was one of the gun-talk ones last fall, guy actually had an intruder trying to come in and went and subdued him (held him at gunpoint) in the buff, had to yell to his wife to call 911 and bring him some pants. :lol:

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
lespaulplayer said:
Consider it a pop-test!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
308sniper said:
I've already warned all my family members and friends, including my wife to not play any practical jokes on me to scare me. They would probably get a gun pointed at them. None have tried it yet, thank goodness.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
ok so I have my story. Just had the alarm installed ater we moved into our home. Weeks went by without any issues but before the installer left he told us that some of the sensors were a little old and could be defective. We didn't worry about ti because it seemed to work fine.

About 2am, the alarm goes off, I cleared the bed, grabbed the gun, and cleared room by room in nothing but tighty whities. As Im standing in the backyard looking around I see a flash light and went in that general direction:

Me: STOP OR I'll SHOOT
Unknown: YOU STOP OR I'LL SHOOT
Me: Huh
Forsyth County Sheriffs deputy: Can you please put the gun down?... I'm sure you're not the intruder since you're outside in crocs and your underwear... I could hear the deputy behind him laughing..

We fixed every sensor no more issues.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
TippinTaco said:
ok so I have my story. Just had the alarm installed ater we moved into our home. Weeks went by without any issues but before the installer left he told us that some of the sensors were a little old and could be defective. We didn't worry about ti because it seemed to work fine.

About 2am, the alarm goes off, I cleared the bed, grabbed the gun, and cleared room by room in nothing but tighty whities. As Im standing in the backyard looking around I see a flash light and went in that general direction:

Forsyth County Sheriffs deputy: Can you please put the gun down?... I'm sure you're not the intruder since you're outside in crocs and your underwear... I could hear the deputy behind him laughing..

LMAO!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had one scare me pretty good.

We had just moved into our new house and I was in the process of hanging blinds and curtains. I stopped mid job in the bed room for the night. Half way thru the night there was a loud crash right next to us. My first thought was that someone was trying to come in the bay window of our bed room. (Master on the main). After jumping up gathering my self, I realized that the laser level I was using and left attached to the wall had let loose and fell onto the night stand next to the bed.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
TippinTaco said:

:lol: What's not so funny, is that you were lucky you were not shot and killed.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Two stories, one for me and one for Gus (one of my dogs).

Me first. Wife was out of town and at the time we had Gus (who sleeps in the bonus room) and Gidget (RIP - who slept on our floor). I had gone to bed at the normal time (11ish) and went right to sleep which is odd for me, I normally toss and turn for a little bit. At about 1:00 (I think) I wake up and I could swear I heard someone pounding (and I mean pounding) on the front door. My first thought was "is the house on fire?" but I jump out of bed and head to where I think I heard this racket - the front door. I look out and there is no one at the door and no one in the front yard (my porch light is on all night). I proceed to "clear the house" w/ my 1911 in hand and when I get to the bonus room Gus is sound asleep. At this point I realize that I must have been dreaming but I also realized a couple of other things 1. my heart is racing 2. my hands are steady (was very pleased to see) 3. i was breathing strangely (fast and shallow) 3. I had put on a pair of jeans and slippers and not only had I grabbed my 1911 and a small flashlight but I also thought to tuck a .38 that I had at the time in the small of my back :) Why I didn't grab an extra mag instead I'll never know. I did all that without thinking about it though and it all happened really quickly because when I got back in bed my spot was still warm. 8) When there is no one else in the house you have no one to look at and say "did you hear that?" but when I saw Gus was asleep I knew everything was ok. Gus don't play (see below) :) It did take me a while to get back to sleep but I have to say I was proud of the way I reacted (even though it was nothing) and, at the same time, I was so relieved that I didn't have to do anything.

So that brings me to Gus (this was fairly recent). Late one weekend night (and I mean really late) we had a similar experience together - he got spooked this time. I had stayed up watching TV and was getting ready to head off to bed so I figured I'd let Gussie out one more time so maybe we could sleep in. I wake him up (which is no small feet in itself) and convince him that getting up off his lazy butt and going out in the cold is a good idea. He is not pleased but obediently he walks out on the back deck and almost immediately his hair stands up and he starts this low, deep growl and he freezes in sort of a half crouch (hard to describe you had to be there). Now, Gussie is without a doubt the most laid back, chill dog I have ever seen or heard of so this definitely got my attention. I reached in my pocket and pulled out my P32 and just kept my hand at my side (I was in my PJ's :lol: ) as I tried to see what it was he was looking at. I nudged him a little to move forward and he began to "stalk" (that's the only way to describe it) forward down the one step off the deck and towards our gate w/ me not far behind him. He is doing his growling thing the whole time. When our motion lights on the side of the house kick on I see one of my neighbors walking toward his house (I don't know him well - just enough to say hi) and he looks at Gus and says "easy boy".....and Gus looses it. Barking and puffing up his chest trying to look all tough. My neighbor about crapped his pants - he didn't expect that at all. The guy didn't see my pistol I don't think as I just kept my hand by my side.

We always say that Gus wouldn't hurt a fly but the truth is that if you wake him up in the middle of the night drag him out in the cold to pee.....all bets are off. I was proud too because when I reached down and patted him on the butt and told him it was ok he started wagging his tail and bouncing around a little and, in his own way, seemed relieved that he didn't have to hurt anyone that night.....I can relate.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
BSCLibertarian said:
Two stories, one for me and one for Gus (one of my dogs).
Dogs are the best alarms IMO. They can't be disarmed. Don't have to worry about a battery backup and they're usually more sensitive than a motion sensor.

If I think I hear something in the middle of the night the first thing I do is look at the dogs, if they're both cool I know it's probably nothing.

Since I've moved into the city (I don't have a front yard, I have a sidewalk and a street) I've learned not to stress about noise unless our alarm is going off or the dogs are barking.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
My 14 year old daughter has a life sized, cardboard stand up of Robert Pattinson (He plays Edward in the Twilight movies.) in her room. I can't tell you how many times I have walked past her door, caught it in the corner of my eye and almost drew my gun on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts