Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well-known Rapper T.I. Arrested in Atlanta

Reported By: Julia Harding

ATLANTA (FOX 5) â€" Grammy award-winning rapper T.I. was arrested Saturday. He was charged with possessing unregistered machine guns and silencers.

Clifford Harris, better known as T.I., was taken into custody just hours before he was set to perform at the BET Hip Hop Awards in downtown Atlanta.

Harris' home in southwest Atlanta became the focus of a federal investigation.

"Special agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives are executing a lawful, federal search warrant on the premises today," said Marc Jackson of the ATF.

The U.S. Attorneys Office said Harris was arrested in midtown Atlanta by ATF agents around 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Agents said Harris had three machine guns and two silencers delivered to him and three guns were found in his vehicle.

A federal search warrant was executed at Harris' home Saturday afternoon and special agents with the ATF spent most of the afternoon at the College Park residence, which is located about 15 miles southwest of the city.

By 7:30 p.m. Saturday, federal agents had already spent more than four hours at Harris' home collecting boxes and bags of evidence.

"Well, when you see ATF jackets, you understand what's going on, very unfortunate," said neighbor Cherie Wilson.

Investigators said they found six firearms in Harris' bedroom closet.

The U.S. Attorney said Harris should not possess any firearms because he was convicted on felony drug charges in 1998.

Harris' arrest came as the BET Hip-Hop Awards were taped on Saturday at the Boisfeuillet Jones Civic Center in Atlanta. The Atlanta-based rapper, who just turned 27-years-old on September 25, led the pack with nine nominations, including CD of the Year, Lyricist of the Year and MVP of the Year.

Harris was scheduled to perform at the awards and host an after-party at an Atlanta nightclub Saturday night, but he was noticeably absent from red carpet festivities before the show began.

Harris' lawyer, Dwight Thomas released a statement on his client's behalf saying, "This is very unfortunate that T.I. was arrested, not only in terms of the timing of his appearance on the hip hop awards show, but also the fact that he was arrested at all. TIP is confident that his name will be cleared."

Thomas went on to say, "T.I. was arrested with his significant other and another young man and is being detained by the ATF, which is the arresting agency."

Harris has demonstrated his mainstream appeal in the past year, first hitting the big screen in his debut movie, “ATL†in March 2006. Next month, he has a role opposite Academy Award-winners Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe in “American Gangster,†set to be released Nov. 2.

T.I. was also a spokesman for Chevrolet, where he rapped and raced alongside All-American NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...n=8&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

According to last nights news, another 6 loaded firearms were found in his closet.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From CNN.com

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Rapper T.I. was arrested on federal gun charges just hours before he was scheduled to perform at the BET Hip Hop Awards, according to federal authorities.

T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris, was arrested without incident in midtown Atlanta.

The entertainer, whose real name is Clifford Harris, was arrested in a federal sting Saturday after his bodyguard-turned-informant delivered three machine guns and two silencers to the hip-hop star, according to a Justice Department statement.

Authorities said that Harris, 27, provided the bodyguard $12,000 to buy the weapons, which Harris is not allowed to own because he is a convicted felon. Court documents said Harris was convicted on felony drug charges in 1998, and a federal affidavit said he has been arrested on gun charges in the past.

However, one of his attorneys, Dwight Thomas, said he was not aware Harris was a convicted felon and that "a number of people" live in Harris' suburban Atlanta home. Thomas added there were "two sides to every story -- sometimes three" and he was confident the legal system would work in Harris' favor.

The entertainer was taken into custody about 2:30 p.m. ET Saturday in Atlanta, where the BET award show was filmed.

Harris, the show's top nominee, was up for nine awards, including CD of the year and lyricist of the year. He also was scheduled to perform, along with fellow rap stars Common, Nelly and Kanye West.

The show went on without the self-proclaimed "King of the South," whose car and College Park, Georgia, home were searched following his arrest. Watch a search of the rapper's home »

Authorities said they found three more firearms in the car in which Harris drove to pick up the machine guns and silencers, "including one loaded gun tucked between the driver's seat where Harris had been sitting and the center console."

At his home, authorities found six other guns, five of them loaded, in his bedroom closet.

"Machine guns pose a serious danger to the community, which is why they are so carefully regulated," said David Nahmias, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Georgia.

"The last place machine guns should be is in the hands of a convicted felon, who cannot legally possess any kind of firearm. This convicted felon allegedly was trying to add several machine guns to an already large and entirely illegal arsenal of guns."

The sting came after Harris' bodyguard was arrested purchasing the machine guns and silencers from an undercover Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent Wednesday, according to the Justice Department statement. The bodyguard then agreed to cooperate with the ATF, the statement said.

The guns were not registered on the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record as required by law. The bodyguard -- who has worked for Harris since July -- told authorities he had bought about nine guns for the rap star in the past, the statement said.

On Wednesday, authorities said, Harris arranged for the bodyguard to pick up $12,000 in cash from a bank to buy the guns. After his arrest, the bodyguard made phone calls to Harris, which authorities recorded, the statement said.

Harris was supposed to pick up the guns after meeting the bodyguard in a shopping center parking lot in midtown Atlanta. Authorities arrested Harris there without incident, the Justice Department statement said.

Court documents in the case show Harris was convicted on felony drug charges in Cobb County, Georgia, in 1998 and sentenced to seven years' probation. "Harris has additional arrests and at least one probation violation for unlawfully possessing firearms," according to an affidavit.

Harris' music is built around the drug culture and is known as "trap musik," the name of Harris' second album. A "trap" is Southern slang for a drug house.

Harris will be held in federal custody over the weekend and will appear Monday before a magistrate judge, the Justice Department statement said.

Harris soon will appear in the movie "American Gangster," starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. The film is set to open November 2.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/13/rapper.arrested/index.html

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,591 Posts
More Questions

1-- Where did these NFA-type firearms come from? Are they home-made in some illegal basement machine shop? Were they made from ordinary semi-auto firearms, and was the suppressor made from a fake one or a dummy tube? Are they genuine NFA-registered firearms that were stolen from the rightful owner? Did this rapper's bodyguard or some member of his entourage buy them "legally" filling out all the paperwork, but intending all along to sell them, off the record, to the rapper? (Which would make it an illegal transaction right off the bat, but at least on paper it would look legitimate and be processed the normal way).

2-- How far up the chain of custody can the feds go? I want them to find out where these weapons came from and BUST that person or that group. This rap star, though he's a thug and a convicted felon, is not the "big fish," and the investigation should not end with him. Ultimately, he is just the customer, and he only bought a couple of guns, probably for his personal use (and that of his posse' of bodyguards and fellow thugs).

If there is an illegal arms dealer who can be identified and caught and prosecuted, I hope the feds will. The guy who is making these things and selling them on the black market needs to get more punishment than one of his customers does.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I believe the article in the AJC said the illegal items were purchased by TI's bodyguard from a BATF undercover agent, so they probably came from our government's inventory of such weapons.

It sounds as though TI asked his bodyguard to find him some new toys and the bodyguard was dumb enough to buy them from a cop. Once apprised of the situation, he decided to cut a deal with the BATF rather than protect his boss.

Sounds like ol' TI gonna be rapping from behind bars for a long, long time. Not sure what that'll do for his street cred as he'll probably be too old to rap when he finally does get back out on the streets...

:jail:

Not having teenage kids, and having a fairly low opinion of rap ( :puke: ) I've never heard of this guy before today. Does anybody know anything about him? Anything other than he's a thug with more money than all of us combined? How about it adam? It would appear you're a big fan, so tell us all about him.

:mrgreen:

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Macktee said:
Not having teenage kids, and having a fairly low opinion of rap ( :puke: ) I've never heard of this guy before today. Does anybody know anything about him? Anything other than he's a thug with more money than all of us combined? How about it adam? It would appear you're a big fan, so tell us all about him.

I wouldn't have the slightest idea who he was, except for hearing the name or seeing the Chevy commecials.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Adam5 said:
Macktee said:

I wouldn't have the slightest idea who he was, except for hearing the name or seeing the Chevy commecials.
Dime a dozen.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Adam5 said:
Macktee said:

Did anyone see the movie ATL? He was in it. I didn't know who he was before that, though.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Re: More Questions

gunsmoker said:
1-- Where did these NFA-type firearms come from? Are they home-made in some illegal basement machine shop? Were they made from ordinary semi-auto firearms, and was the suppressor made from a fake one or a dummy tube? Are they genuine NFA-registered firearms that were stolen from the rightful owner? Did this rapper's bodyguard or some member of his entourage buy them "legally" filling out all the paperwork, but intending all along to sell them, off the record, to the rapper? (Which would make it an illegal transaction right off the bat, but at least on paper it would look legitimate and be processed the normal way).

2-- How far up the chain of custody can the feds go? I want them to find out where these weapons came from and BUST that person or that group. This rap star, though he's a thug and a convicted felon, is not the "big fish," and the investigation should not end with him. Ultimately, he is just the customer, and he only bought a couple of guns, probably for his personal use (and that of his posse' of bodyguards and fellow thugs).

If there is an illegal arms dealer who can be identified and caught and prosecuted, I hope the feds will. The guy who is making these things and selling them on the black market needs to get more punishment than one of his customers does.
Again, I have to stand up for the 2nd Amendment here. Nobody was harmed by these weapons and I believe the NFA is unconstititional so I hope everyone beats the rap, pardon the pun.

Don't conpromise your principles because this guy is a rap star.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Macktee said:

Yeah, I know about him. He is now one of the major, mainstream, rappers. You will hear his music on all of the top 40/hip hop radio stations.

He goes by T.I. or T.I.P. He is from Atlanta. He uses the title "King of the South." He has had several run-ins with the law before and is known to have public "beefs" with other rappers. He was in that movie mentioned in the posts above.

He has more money that you could imagine.

If you like rap, he actually puts out some decent stuff. 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.I.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Not the cleanest guy in the world:

Criminal
In early 2004, T.I. was behind bars in Cobb County, Georgia, for violating probation. The probation stems from a November 1997 arrest and subsequent conviction for distribution of cocaine, manufacturing and distributing a controlled substance, and giving authorities a false name, according to a sheriff's department spokesperson.

He served a sentence of unknown length and was released early on probation. It is not clear what he did to violate the terms of his release, but it is the second time he's been accused of doing so. A county judge could revoke the terms of his probation and reinstate his original sentence.

More trouble awaits T.I. in neighboring Fulton County. Two arrest warrants were issued there in March â€" one for possession of a firearm and one for possession of ecstasy. Now that he's in custody, T.I. will likely be extradited to face those charges after his case is handled in Cobb County, according to a Fulton County sheriff's department spokesperson.[21]

T.I. was sentenced to three years in prison for violating the terms of his probation. After serving a minimum of one year, T.I. can apply for a work-release program, according to the county clerk's office in Cobb County, Georgia. An arrest warrant for T.I. was issued on December 29, ordering a revocation of his probation. He turned himself in to county officials on March 30 and had been in custody ever since. His lawyers appeared in Cobb County Superior Court Wednesday and signed a consent order with prosecutors that essentially stipulated T.I. should be sentenced immediately, thus avoiding the need for a formal hearing.

T.I. was on probation stemming from a 1998 conviction for violating a state controlled substances act and for giving false information. After being released on probation, he earned a litany of probation violations in several counties around Georgia for offenses ranging from possession of a firearm to possession of marijuana.[22].

In 2006, after appearing in an Atlanta court on (May 10) and having charges that he threatened a man outside a strip club last year dropped for lack of evidence, T.I. was arrested on an outstanding probation violation warrant from Florida. The warrant claims that T.I. did not complete the required number of community service hours he was sentenced for a 2003 assault of a female sheriff deputy at University Mall in Tampa. T.I. was detained by several mall Security Guards at the time of the incident, among them, Jason Phillips(founder of Certified Protective Services), Larry Warner (founder of Tactical Response Services), and Arturo Ortiz, now a security manager in Florida. According to WBS-TV Atlanta, the rapper’s attorney has said that the problem was nothing more than a “technical matter†between Georgia and Florida. The confusion arose because T.I. was also sentenced to community service in Georgia for driving with a suspended license, for which he did complete 75 hours of community service in his home state. The rapper was released on bail shortly after being arrested, and was expected to surrender to Florida state authorities next week to resolve the matter.[23]

On October 13, 2007, Federal authorities arrested the Grammy-winning rapper T.I. His arrest came at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, four hours before the BET Hip-Hop Awards show got under way downtown. He was charged with two felonies â€" possession of three unregistered machine guns and two silencers, and possession of firearms by a convicted felon. The arrest was made in the parking lot of a downtown shopping center, which a witness identified as the Walgreens drug store at the corner of North and Piedmont avenues. Harris was arrested after allegedly trying to purchase the guns from a "cooperating witness" with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. According to federal officials, the witness had been cooperating with authorities since Wednesday, when he was arrested on charges of trying to purchase guns from a federal agent. The witness has been working as Harris' bodyguard since July, authorities said. [24]

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I disagree with NFA, but he's a convicted felon and shouldn't have any guns, let alone those considered more deserving of restriction.

I hope he's nailed to the wall as we need to have severe punishment of felons in possession of firearms - period.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Damn :!: Now I got find someone else to do my ringtones. T.I. a thug, not hardly. He might weight 125 soak and wet. It'll take a little more than rap album and a couple of drug charges for ole Cliffy boy to be considered a thug. He's just a rapping drug dealer who met up with the right producer. Someone is gonna step up and take the charge. Once he makes bail, he'll never see a jail cell for those charges. The most he'll get is a probation violation charge. Without his rap rep, he'll be just another fresh fish in big house, like all the other wanna be gansters.

Word

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.