Well doesn't this beat all?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Bkite, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Well, too little testing and too much of a rush to have whizz-bang tech rather than tried-and-true equipment strikes again.

3. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

FTFY :banghead:

4. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Are these X-ray goggles?

[​IMG]

Ok, the image tag says "... during a simulated bridge training exercise aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford". So probably VR goggles.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

This picture is better: it shows a piece of junk landing on a piece of junk:
    [​IMG]

6. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Yep....this summarizes very well the absolute failure of the US Government to make sure large acquisition programs run like they are supposed to and that they meet the specifications before cutting the check. BUT...as long as the boards of these large gov't contractors are hanging out playing golf with our elected officials, it will not change.

My last assignment in the AF was doing test flights on the C-5 airplane after they were modified by Lockheed. Before the first bolt was removed from the airplane, Lockheed already had a performance check in their hands. During my tenure, the government "accepted" 21 airplanes and 19 of them DID NOT MEET SPECIFICATIONS. Several of them were no longer AIRWORTHY and even though we were allowed to fly just about ANYTHING (airworthy or not), there were 2 airplanes we couldn't even fly...but Lockheed STILL got paid. We filed an IG complaint against both Lockheed AND our management (Defense Contract Management Agency) and our allegations were substantiated...but was anything done? Nope. In the 2 years I worked in the program, the stock of Lockheed Martin DOUBLED. Still makes me sick to the stomach.

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Should have named it the USS Obama! Haha

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's no worse than Ford's golf game!

9. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

If they had named it Enterprise instead of CVN-80, it would likely have not only met, but exceeded performance.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Ah, please don't' "quote" me with an altered quote.

11. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

Yeah I was stationed in Newport News from '99 - '02. I got to interface with the shipyard there with the Electronics and Navigation testing when the ships had finished their overhauls. I saw the Reagan get built.
    They would install all of the equipment that was planned from the beginning of the contract. Then once the carrier was "delivered" and tested by The Navy, they would trun around and do a refit and replace everything that was out of date.:-k
    Don't get me started on the new IP based phones that were state of the art at the time onboard.

12. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

No one does bureaucracy like the Federal Gov't does it. The more of it there is, the longer things take, and there is a *LOT* of paperwork behind a carrier.

13. CoffeeMate

Let me guess... as soon as they were powered up, they tried to download and install Windows 10.

:lol:

14. CoffeeMate

"... okay, it looks like the installation was successful... I need at least three copies of the tech manual..."
    "... that's proprietary... we don't provide that with the installation..."
    "... I don't give a flying flip... we're about to go into hostile waters... we will all be betting our lives that this will continue to work right..."
    "... no worries, if you have any problems, just call this 800 number..."
    "... we're about to go somewhere where people will be trying to kill us, and you expect me to somehow phone a call center somewhere?!?"

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

"... Okay, I will put your number in the computer so you get to assistance right away and bypass the standard wait in line time.

Nemo