Weld No Gun Ban Support on Any Weapon

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Sep 4, 2016.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

2. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

But.... but..... but.... we can use his past statement against him. We can claim that that ones' past statements are still true regardless of any more recent evidence to the contrary..

Then again, how important is this guy, I want to know about the candidate's positions. I certainly won't vote for someone on the assumption they're going to die soon.

That said, it is good to know about Weld, it does put a lot of potential voters minds' at ease. However, it is still concerning though that gun control is a possibility for him, that he's willing to compromise on it, should he become president, much like Trump and Hillary's previous statements.

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

He qualified it. Why do that? He's reserving the ability to support a ban on specific, named weapons.

I smell weasel words.

4. EJR914

If you read the article he believes nuclear warheads should be regulated even if launched from a gun.

5. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Yeah, you try to stop someone from robbing you, and everyone in a a one square mile radius gets cancer. Nothing like a nuclear winter to put a damper on neighborhood crime. :rotfl:

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

" Fortunately, in 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the Second Amendment when it overturned a District of Columbia law banning the possession of a licensed and fully operational firearm. I agree with the D.C. v. Heller decision. Politicians can’t simply ignore part the Constitution because they think it doesn’t or shouldn’t apply in today’s society."

--.William Weld

7. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

Gary Johnson, the former governor of New Mexico, and current leading Libertarian candidate for president is set to name William (Bill) Weld, the former governor of Massachusetts, as his running mate today. While Weld certainly has some fiscal conservative bona fides from his time as governor, he also has a statist streak, which should give libertarians, especially those who are delegates to the Libertarian convention, pause.

James Antle summed up whether or not Weld is a libertarian best, in a 2005 profile at the American Spectator. Antle wrote “does the strange combination of thorough economic conservatism and social liberalism make Weld a libertarian? Not unless libertarians also support expansive environmental regulations, gun control, and affirmative action.â€

Here are five statist positions of Bill Weld that should give libertarians pause.

Gun Control

Weld is a gun grabber. He gave his support to gun control measures in Massachusetts. As the New York Times reported at the time:

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/...rians-run-from-bill-weld#sthash.AVYJM5bi.dpuf

https://www.conservativereview.com/...t-should-make-libertarians-run-from-bill-weld

liberal not libertarian

8. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

9. AtlPhilip

If we're going back 10 years, I would suggest you review Mr Trump's position on guns from that period. You will find them identical to those of Hillary Clinton.

Trump supporters want to believe that Trump, and only Trump, has changed. Everyone else is pandering.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

BKite and AtlPhilip, you both have a valid point. Why are you talking past each other?

11. EJR914

I guess it's only possible for Trump to change his position on guns?

12. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Or abortion...
    Or socialized medicine...
    Or free trade....
    Or affirmative action...
    Or drug legalization...
    Or green energy....
    Or campaign donations....
    Or social security...
    Or tax reform....
    Or the proliferation of nuclear weapons....

http://www.ontheissues.org/Donald_Trump.htm

13. EJR914

Exactly. The only bigger flip flopper is Hillary Clinton.

14. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

But remember, voting against satan makes a cthulhu victory possible....

15. EJR914

That's the truth.

16. AtlPhilip

I was responding to Mark's comment.