Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's September 19 as I write this and I've been carrying for about 5 months now. Tonight, I was gazing, glassy-eyed, at the computer screen trying to wind down my mind from a fairly involved Saturday. It's approximately 12:30 and the still of the night it shattered by two sharp reports VERY close to my house. :help: I kill the light in the room grab my shotgun and peer out my window.

No one in sight.

I move to the living room where we have a large picture window with a full view of the street. Now, maybe I'm expecting too much, but I know somebody else in my neighborhood heard the crack of gunfire in the middle of the might. As I still live with my family, my father comes upstairs Ruger P89 tucked in the pocket of his shorts, he calls the police to make a report. He tells me, "I'm going back to bed, thanks for looking out for everyone."

I stay in the living room staring out the window, shotgun in my lap for the next 35 minutes or so. I expect Clayton County PD or some patrol car to at very least do a roll through or come knock to ask what's going on.

NOTHING!

I know police are busy and if no one was hurt, nothing can really be done. This is far from the first time it's happened in my neighborhood, and I wonder if the police know that there isn't anything going on. I suddenly felt a calm assurance that I could help the people I live with if the police weren't able.

I carry a gun to not only protect myself but to protect the people I love as well. I guess tonight was the first time it really sank in that way. :righton:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Nice story and I applaud your mind-set.

I will point out, though, that it appears to me that "no one was hurt" could be contradicted after a few days pass and the stench of rotting flesh fills the air.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. You could have heard the sound of some poor SOB being shot execution style in the woods between your subdivision and the apartment complex down the street.
A few days from now somebody will find the body and suddenly last nights' gunfire will have new meaning to both you and the cops.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
We hear gunfire a lot on weekends. I'm pretty sure that most of it is celebratory (this area is thick with people from cultures who are fairly used to getting drunk and firing guns into the air) and the police won't come out after dark as it's too dangerous for them.

However, there have been two murders in the apartment complex behind us in as many months. And these aren't domestic squabbles, these are bodies found in the parking lot kinds of murders. There is only a small wooded area between these apartments and our house.

And my wife wonders why I'm always armed around the house or when I walk the dog.

We are planning on moving soon, my youngest daughter will graduate next spring.

But it keeps me awake at night when I hear those rounds popping off.

Az

·
Registered
461 Posts
Scary that FPPD didn't even roll through. My girlfriend lives in Forest Park so I spend a great deal of time there. Reminds me of East Atlanta when I was growing up there, long before so-called gentrification - definitely the hood. It took a lot to bring out the cops there.
Glad you're armed and ready to protect yourself and others.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Glad you are ok and were prepared but just throwing this out there:

You heard gunshots but didn't know where from. They possibly could have come from 2 blocks over that would not have been in your view from your window. A call could have been made from another concerned citizen such as your dad on that actual block directing the police directly to where they needed to be.

Basically just because they didn't roll down your block does not mean they didn't respond.

Do I necessarily agree with my scenario? No, just saying it is a perfectly reasonable one.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
AzB said:
We hear gunfire a lot on weekends ... and the police won't come out after dark as it's too dangerous for them.
Wow, what part of town are you in? Is it Duluth, or Gwinnett County?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
AzB said:
the police won't come out after dark as it's too dangerous for them.
then those people dont need to be police.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrtopher1980 said:
You heard gunshots but didn't know where from. They possibly could have come from 2 blocks over that would not have been in your view from your window.
You really would have been able to tell if you were sitting in my place. These shots were deafeningly close. Like within 50 yards close.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
If I don't hear a plethora of rifle, shotgun, and semi-auto handgun by my home I'd think something was wrong. Ahh, living in the country.

When I lived in an apartment complex, I had the same problem. Never slept well. Stayed up many nights with the shotty beside me. I feel your pain, man.

·
Registered
461 Posts
EJR914 said:
If I don't hear a plethora of rifle, shotgun, and semi-auto handgun by my home I'd think something was wrong. Ahh, living in the country.
I miss those days... sniff :cry:

I lived in your general neck of the woods (NE Newton County) for 16 years. When I first moved out there it was quite a pleasant culture shock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts