Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just had the pressure regulator replaced in our house and now whenever we turn on or off a faucet, there is a brief "whistling" sound. The sound can be heard anywhere in the house for about 1 second each time.

The pressure is set right at 50 p.s.i.

I was wondering if I need to bump it up just a little bit, but this has never happened before and we have been in this house for 21+ years.

The person who did the swap (same regulator, so easy swap) thinks that it might have some air in a line, but it has been since Monday.

Any ideas anyone? RobfromGa, I wish you were closer.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Does the outside hose bib have a vacuum breaker on it? one of these?

If so, the diaphragm is wearing in the breaker, nothing to worry about, other than the sound. You can just replace the breaker, BUT BE WARNED!!! the breaker has a setscrew that locks it to the faucet, you have to drill it out if the installer tightened it properly. When you drill it be very careful not to screw up the threads on the faucet under it. You can try a easy-out, but I never have luck with those.

Safe pressure is anything below 80psi, so you can bump it up. I dont start to push regulators on people unless its over 100psi.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
robfromga said:
Does the outside hose bib have a vacuum breaker on it? one of these?

If so, the diaphragm is wearing in the breaker, nothing to worry about, other than the sound. You can just replace the breaker, BUT BE WARNED!!! the breaker has a setscrew that locks it to the faucet, you have to drill it out if the installer tightened it properly. When you drill it be very careful not to screw up the threads on the faucet under it. You can try a easy-out, but I never have luck with those.

Safe pressure is anything below 80psi, so you can bump it up. I dont start to push regulators on people unless its over 100psi.
I don't have any of those on the two outside faucets. Pressure coming in from meter is 120 p.s.i.

Edited to add: I have one outside faucet before the regulator at 120 p.s.i. and the other on the house side of regulator that shows the 50 p.s.i.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
robfromga said:
Call me 7064217730. Too much to type
I understand why you wrote that.

On the other hand, this little community, in many ways, is about educating others - in many, many different respects.

If you have a bit of time, I know at least for myself, I'd welcome your insight into this, should i ever come across such a thing myself.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a wierd noise coming from my water pipes once that took me a while to figure out. IIRC, the flapper valve on an upstairs toilet was starting to go bad, and when the toilet filled up and the water shut off it would squeal for half a second. I could hear it all thru the house, but it happened so infrequently that it took me weeks to find it. Still baffles me why/how a new flapper made the difference.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem has been solved. Thank you Rob for the phone help.

Turns out that all I needed to do was increase the water pressure some. I turned it up to 60 p.s.i. and the noise has gone away. Tried it at multiple faucets and nice and quiet now.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Suburbbus said:
Problem has been solved. Thank you Rob for the phone help.

Turns out that all I needed to do was increase the water pressure some. I turned it up to 60 p.s.i. and the noise has gone away. Tried it at multiple faucets and nice and quiet now.
SCORE!!! :righton:

Bill is in the mail

:sly: :sly: :sly: :sly:

J/K Glad you got it solved :righton:

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
I had a simular problem wif my toilets. Every time I sat down on one of them, a vibrating low pitch noise came from nowhere....followed by an obnoxious odor. This happened no matter what toilet I was using and I still haven't found out what it could be.... :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
MyFred said:
I had a simular problem wif my toilets. Every time I sat down on one of them, a vibrating low pitch noise came from nowhere....followed by an obnoxious odor. This happened no matter what toilet I was using and I still haven't found out what it could be.... :)
that problem is wide spread -- I've had it in every home I've ever lived in :D

Let me know if you figure out a solution to it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
whitmo said:
MyFred said:
that problem is wide spread -- I've had it in every home I've ever lived in :D

Let me know if you figure out a solution to it.
Duct tape.... :shattered:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts