Weapon Retention Demonstration = Suicide

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

From Clayton Cramer:
    If this guy had been on the force for 15 years, you might argue that he forgot his training. But Gustafson was pretty fresh out of the academy. You would think that he would know this. Even before I had any formal training with firearms, I knew that you have to check the chamber--removing the magazine isn't enough.[/quote:1kad3m28]
    http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/200 ... 8052568292

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

They say he "forgot his training"? More like basic gun safety rules...

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

The rules of gun safety are simple and absolute. If you follow them, things like this will not happen.

4. fallison

fallison New Member

I would guess he was counting on the magazine disconnect safeties that are all the rage today among LE organizations.

5. lowside

lowside New Member

I think that is probably the most telling snippet from the article. Sounds like he was to busy showing off to remember some of his most fundamental training. I've certainly done my fair share of stupid things to impress girls, but nothing quite that bad.

It's a damn shame :shakehead:

6. oxfat

oxfat New Member

It depends on how long its been since his training. In the training world there is this thing called the Ebbinghaus curve, or the "cure of forgetfulness." After you have been trained on something, if you don't immediately reinforce it, the rate at which you forget is quite fast.

Training must be immediately reinforced with practice, and kept in place by procedure/habit. So if has not been long enough to become ingrained, but long enough to forget the details, I can see this happening.

At a quarter to 2 in the morning, and after a few beers . . . .

In a country with 300million people, its a wonder these things don't happen more often. It would be interesting to see the rates of LEO accidental shootings compared to those of gun enthusiasts. I'd expect that people such as GCO members would have a much better safety record.

7. merlock

merlock New Member

Another fine example of professionalism.
    :shakehead:

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Darwin award finalist.

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Do you even need training to realize you don't point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger?

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Apparently so.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

So it's either training or professionalism :?

12. Sharky

Sharky New Member

"heres your sign"

13. lowside

lowside New Member

:rotfl:

14. Bodean

Bodean New Member

I think that would be a good enough reason not to let LEO handle your gun while at a traffic stop. Lord only knows what their mind is on while handling it. Then they could say I used my weapon on an officer. :shock:

15. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/200 ... 8052568292[/quote:6a92rtar]

OUCH, another Darwin awards winner, Here's your sign RIP.
    Something tells me he forgot a step in his training, Like THINKING.....

Gee I wonder if there was alcohol involved with the gathering, in Ga you only need two, you and BUD........
    :cantsay:

16. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I find it almost more distrubing that this bafoon was licensed to drive a car in the state of California or even worse was issued (or would have been issued) a large rear wheel drive sedan by the city of San Fransisco.

17. Wiley

Wiley New Member

At least he had the decency to off himself and not a new recruit as a "training officer" did to a female Cobb County police recruit during a "training exersize".

I think that badge-heavy-flat-foot is still an LEO and still training. :puke:. I don't remember any charges were brought.