Weapon Mix-Up Caused Death of Police Officer

Discussion in 'In the News' started by {TEX}Hawaii((, Sep 23, 2010.

1. {TEX}Hawaii((

{TEX}Hawaii(( New Member

2. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

Check, double-check, then check again....

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

QUOTE: "... regular weapons can fire Simunition ammunition, but only after a modification that prevents them from firing live ammunition."

MY RESPONSE: What???? I've used Simunition before. It's interchangeable with live ammo. It's like a handload with little or no powder charge (a primer pushes the light plastic ball out the muzzle). Ten years ago when I used them, the cases were standard dimensions and would feed through any magazine of that correct caliber, and chamber in any barrel made for that caliber.

Are Simunitions different these days?

4. Mr_Z

Mr_Z Member

Sad. And figured I may as well warn you before others jump on you...You are probably quoting too much of the article here. Short quote. Link. Avoid lawsuits for our host :)

5. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Well the current batch of simunition is like a 7mm projectile but the cartridge is 9mm.

6. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Judging by their website, their current ammo requires a conversion kit which prevents clambering of live rounds into a Simunition converted weapon.

This just makes the accident all the more tragic.

7. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Is it SOOOOOOOO hard to check, just one more time?!?

I mean, you're bringing the gun up to shoot, and not a single brain neuron is thinking to itself, how sure am I?

A former coworker put it very well (about running something through a table saw w/o glasses or something). "If something goes wrong, I'll spend the rest of my life wishing I had this moment in time back so I could make a different decision. I have that moment now. Let me make the decision I'm going to wish I made. "

8. fiwit

fiwit New Member

This is pure brilliance, and should be posted everywhere that people ignore standard safety rules (says the woman who splits logs while wearing tennis shoes).