Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/2010 ... t-gun-show

A man in his 70s was showing the gun to a man operating a display booth at the show when it fired, the round traveling into a gun case, said Fond du Lac Police Department Capt. Mat Mueller.

<snip>

"There was a long line and this guy apparently didn't want to wait, so he was able to get in without having his gun checked," Mueller said. "He worked his way over to his buddy, pulled back the slide ... and the slide springs forward and the gun fires."

<snip>

Two years ago at a similar gun show at the Fairgrounds, a man received minor injuries when he was accidentally shot in the foot with a handgun.

<snip>

Mueller said people attending a gun show should be able to assume that none of the weapons in the building are loaded.
Doh

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Mueller said people attending a gun show should be able to assume that none of the weapons in the building are loaded.
:screwy:

See Rule Number One:
RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it;e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.

All guns are always loaded - period!

This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"
http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,253 Posts
Who cares if people handle loaded guns at gun stores and gun shows, sometimes shooting each other, the staff, or the merchandise?
The important thing is that they allow us all to carry loaded guns in there, because that's our Second Amendment right.
:roll:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Who cares if people handle loaded guns at gun stores and gun shows, sometimes shooting each other, the staff, or the merchandise?
The important thing is that they allow us all to carry loaded guns in there, because that's our Second Amendment right.
(took out eye roll)
+1000

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
rankhornjp said:
gunsmoker said:
(took out eye roll)
+1000
:righton: Rule #1. All guns are loaded, all the time. No exceptions.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I went the other night to have a holster I bought worked on at a shoe repair place near me. I had the gun so I could show him what I wanted done.

I had already unloaded the gun before handing it to him, but he politely thanked me and asked if it would be okay if he checked it to make sure it was unloaded.

My reply was "absolutely". I would have thought to myself "what an idiot" for taking a gun from a stranger and not checking it first if he had not asked.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Suburbbus said:
I had already unloaded the gun before handing it to him, but he politely thanked me and asked if it would be okay if he checked it to make sure it was unloaded.
Did you give him a GCO card? He seems ahead of the curve.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,490 Posts
gunsmoker said:
:roll:
Handling and carrying are two different things. :screwy:

The post located at http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52254 is a good example of why disarming people at gun shops and shows is a bad idea. It's no different than any other gun-free/victim-zone business. And I would be more concerned about a lot of people handling and unloading their guns at an entrance than just carrying and not disturbing them.

If you promoted educating people to not remove their holstered firearms, and if you wanted to try a holster to have to go to an unloading room and not touch your firearm until there, I'd be more sympathetic. But disarming citizens at a gun shop/show is no different than at a restaurant/department store/etc. where most here would be saying I won't spend my money there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts