We still need to educate lots of LEOs about the GFL.

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Macktee, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Today, one of the guys at Bullseye (think his name is Andrew) asked budder and me about the legality of open carry.

He understands the law correctly, but wanted some additional reassurance. Apparently, a fairly large number of the LEOs who shoot there do not understand the law correctly!

He said many LEOs have told him a GFL only permits concealed carry of a firearm and open carry is illegal.

One of the people telling him this is commander of a SWAT unit...

Somehow, we need to help educate these people. I realize gun laws are not something they run into on a daily basis, so those laws aren't a high priority in their training, but they are still important. REALLY important if you happen to be a proponent of OC and cross paths with one of these LEOs...!!!

We suggested he give one of our cards (there's a box of them by the cash register), to those with questions and ask them to visit out site. Some may actually do so. Some may even change their minds.

Don't hold your collective breaths. Cops are like most people........ once their minds are made up, they really don't wanna hear da facts. Especially if da facts don't agree with their predisposed mind-set!

So, whadda we do 'bout dis situation?

Any suggestions as to how we can get the message out to LEOs that OC indeed is completely legal for GFL holders?

Anyone???

:-k

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Official letters to the departments and/or personal visits?

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

1) LEOs don't have to follow the GFL laws so they rarely learn them in detail.

2) Most times that LEOs run into someone carrying a gun the person is doing it illegally in some way since GFL holders are very law abiding and rarely draw police attention on themselves.

3) As a whole, the people of Georgia don't open carry much so the police just assume that it is illegal. As long as people choose not to open carry, this will continue to be the thought process of many LEOs. I think a lot of LEOs see open carry as a hassle because sheeple will call 911 and they "have" to come check it out. Also, I think some LEOs see open carry as something that wannabe LEOs do. People wrongly associate open carry with being a LEO for some reason.

4. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

The office of the State of Georgia Police Chiefs Assocation is located in Duluth Georgia. Maybe we could ask to do a presentation at one of their upcomeing meetings. Or provide them with handouts they could take back to their respective jursidictions, to be handed out to their officers.

5. cripple

cripple New Member

Id volunteer some time to do this if anyone wants to join in with me. I dont mind doing presentations to anyone...:)

Ben

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

For starters I might not dis them on this site while at the same time referring them to it for info. Might not help the cause much. Just my :2cents:.

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey VOLGRAD:

I didn't think I was being disrespectful of LEOs. I certainly didn't mean to be.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or start anything with you (or anyone else), I just don't understand what I said to give that impression. LEOs are people and people have certain traits. One of those traits is they don't like being told they're wrong! That's what I said. I didn't mean it to be confrontational. So, please tell me how I can say we need to do a better job informing LEOs, who may well have their minds made up, without coming across as being anti-LEO.

I have a number of friends who are former LEOs and, while I may bust their chops on an individual basis, I'd never say or do anything insulting to LEOs in general. At least, not intentionally.

Thanks.

:?

8. VolGrad

Mack - I didn't mean to sound confrontational either. When I read your message (I will admit you did say, "like most people".) it did sound a bit disrespectful toward LEOs, to me anyway. I do agree completely with your statement that no one, including me, likes to be told they are wrong.

I just wonder sometimes what the average LEO would think after reading some of the stuff on our board - not knowing us, not knowing anything about the group. How would they read it? Would they be offended? That is all I am saying.

9. GACop

GACop Member

I did not take offense to the statements. I have seen some cheap shots taken at police officers here. However, I realize that many times those occur because of a negative experience with law enforcement.

I am the first to admit that I, as well as all other police officers, am not perfect. I am capable of making mistakes as is anyone else here. Sometimes, the cheap shots taken at law enforcement bother me. Other times, I realize that we probably put ourselves in that situation.

However, I will make this important distinction:

It is *extremely* (I can't stress extremely enough) rare that I have met a bad police officer. When I have, they have quickly been pushed out of law enforcement. The vast majority of police officers that I have met truly have the concerns of their community at heart when they do their job. They *really* want to make a positive difference in their community. They want to make their community a better place to live. They just aren't always perfect when they are doing it.

10. VolGrad

This is what I was worried about. Remember, GACop is "one of us" and has still been offended by past remarks (admittedly, not this one). Imagine what an outsider would think.

This has been my observation as well. We have all ran into the cocky jerk occasionally. They are probably just pissed they are stuck writing traffic citations rather than doing something more "fun". I would bet even they are pretty good guys and really do want to make the community better.

I have met a thousand times more jerk bank tellers, retail cashiers, customer service reps, etc. Yes, I realize someone's response will be that we have more contact with these "other" professions than LEOs. I will go so far as to say "as a percent" LEOs are better.

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

This little online community isn't nearly as bad as a LOT of others when it comes to ragging on cops.

Most of the time, the comments here are pretty fair.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I agree. That is why it is so important to get the word out on what is and is not legal. Detaining me absent reasonable suspicion of a crime is not "mak[ing] their community a better place to live."

Frankly, I do think we get the word out. I am a frequent "open carrier," and I have never once been detained on that basis alone.* But I have had more than one police officer tell me that he would, in fact, detain me on that basis alone (both times I had this conversation were in places off limits, so I did not have the opportunity to make the situation available for them).

* Just to be clear, I have not been detained on reasonable suspicion of a crime combined with the presence of a firearm, either. I did not want to imply anything that would leave the wrong impression.

13. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I would agree. Also, this board follows the Socratic* process pretty nicely which does not allow off-the-cuff comments to survive scrutiny.

There is a certain amount of communication lost due to the fact we're dealing with an internet forum. A healthy sense of benefit-of-doubt goes a long way to avoid misunderstandings.

For the record, I am as pro-LEO as one can get w/out putting them on a pedestal.

(* remember So-crates, that dude from the bill & ted movie? whoa)

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Party on Dude !!!!

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes, and remember...

Be excellent to one another.