We should get active

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by mzmtg, Jun 15, 2006.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Emails tend to be ignored in my opinion. I call my State Senator and Representitive on a regular basis to voice my concerns and see what progress they are making. Senator Carter has already requested the AG to look into updating the 1978 unoficial opinion that has been killing us at the probate courts.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

What's the best way to get past the front office and talk directly to the reps?

4. USMC - Retired

Call often and leave numbers where they can call you back. Make sure the person that answers the phone knows that you are a voter from the Senators district and that you need to talk to them about legislative issues that concern you. First and formost BE PERSISTENT but BE PATIENT. Keep in mine that these folks usually work two jobs, thier main line of work (Lawyer, bussiness owner, whatever) and thier elected posistion. Be polite to the staff folks you talk to, tell them you understand that the Senator is a busy person and ask when the best time to catch them available is. Also BE PREPARED when you call them. I keep a list of items to discuss, so I don't get distracted. If they have voted favorably for firearms legislation in the past make sure to thank them for it, especially if they were a sponsor of the legislation. This makes a good ice breaker and gets them thinking positivly about the call. Do your homework, make sure to site the specific bill that you are thanking them for and have all the details available on the topic you are calling to discuss. Be prepared to send more detailed information via email after the call. Senator Carter went as far as to give me his personal email address to foward more intfo to him because his "state email" is "screened" by a staff member and this delays it getting to him.

5. USMC - Retired

That's a great link MP, it should be added to the "Gun Links" section.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I will probably be added to the Gov related box sometime tonight.