"We may not be alone"

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Schweisshund, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

2. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

The following is just my opinion (obviously):

I think it would be the height of human hubris to believe that we are alone in the universe...

...however...

I also believe that any alien race that was advanced enough to make the journey to Earth would be so advanced that they would simply view humans as a pest to be eliminated, and we would most likely have proof positive of their existence.

I also believe that if aliens have already arrived and are "hiding in plain sight", that might explain liberals.

stcxiong likes this.
  3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Any Alien advanced enough to travel here from where-ever would be proof enough that they are not liberal. If they were their space exploration programs would have been slashed to pay for welfare programs on their respective worlds. Also they may really get pissed at you for calling them liberal.:shock:

4. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I recently watched the movie "Arrival" and I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it, especially how the movie explains all the "language traps" when trying to interpret a foreign language.

EJR914 likes this.
  5. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Given the tiny fraction of human existence in geologic time, and the distances involved, the probability of two species existing, reaching the technological advancement for interstellar travel, crossing the cosmos, and ending up in the same place at the same time is near zero.

It is "two ships passing in the night" on a scale that makes our vast oceans look like a small puddle of water.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    moe mensale and Taurus92 like this.
  6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

It would be cool if we were not, and they were cool, but who knows the chances of that.

Mathematics says statistically we're not alone.

I think Arrival shows how an arrival may not initially hail in world wide peace and unity against a threat.

Maybe Jesus will come back before this and the point will be moot anyway. I hope so. There is so much pain, corruption, and evil in this world right now. God's everlasting mercy just astounds me.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Any civilization advanced enough for interstellar travel (a Type II or Type III civilization) would view us the way we view ants.

Such a civilization is so beyond our reckoning that we wouldn’t be able to recognize them, either.

EJR914 likes this.
  8. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Don't forget about the prime directive

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Aliens go to IHOP. Even they know better than Waffle House.

Nemo

Schweisshund likes this.
  10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Of course. They have a much better assortment of slurpy syrupy toppings. :yum: