Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I don't know about crime labs but if they are anything like Ancestry's DNA tests, no, I have no faith in them. My and other family memebers DNA tests came back with 0% Native American which we know to be 100% incorrect.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Its not as 100 percent as you would think

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
even if you remove crappy lab techs from the equation, DNA tests aren't done in the way a layman might think. they don't compare every nucleotide and check if they match. they could do that, but it would be much more expensive. instead, they just compare the locations of parts of the DNA that aren't even used (called Short Tandem Repeats). it ends up being a probability game instead of a discrete match or no match.

·
Registered
368 Posts
even if you remove crappy lab techs from the equation, DNA tests aren't done in the way a layman might think. they don't compare every nucleotide and check if they match. they could do that, but it would be much more expensive. instead, they just compare the locations of parts of the DNA that aren't even used (called Short Tandem Repeats). it ends up being a probability game instead of a discrete match or no match.
Yes but explain that to a jury, they wouldn't even comprehend it. Haven't you ever seen C.S.I ?

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Yes but explain that to a jury, they wouldn't even comprehend it. Haven't you ever seen C.S.I ?
nah. i'm not big on tv in general, nor cop shows in particular. i learned that stuff in a biology class. the tech is even cheap enough these days that we did some DNA testing of our own.

·
Gun pecan
308 Posts
Its not as 100 percent as you would think
Yep, a lot of the Eastern Tribes intermarried with African slaves and European settlers. Plus they have to have a profile to match them to. You start to get into the stuff like Kennewick Man.

Also, if you were a member of a tribe, would you want to take one of these tests and it showed that you had less Native American than you thought.

The tests are more of a range of nationalities. Mine came back 61% Great Britain, 16% Irish, 10% Scandinavian, 6% Europe West, 2% Finland/Russian, 2% Europe East, <1% Italy/Greece, <1% Senegal. Wow, Britain, Europe , Scandinavia with traces of something else. Yep, that's me.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Daughter's test came back with all she expected, Irish, English, French via Canada, German, and some Asian. Would Asian indicate Indian or just random error?

When my people headed to Canada in 1600s, I don't think that there were a lot of euro ladies hanging around to marry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts