Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Greetings and Salutations. You get an extra point for a wheel gun. So many nowadays do not understand the true validity of them. Just like someone around here and the Southern Cross.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Uh, Solomon, thats wheelgun or revolver or such. A pistol is magazine fed.

Nemo :shakehead:

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,709 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice piece!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Uh, Solomon, thats wheelgun or revolver or such. A pistol is magazine fed.

Nemo :shakehead:
Not really sure where you learned that...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/pistol

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pistol

pis·tol
ˈpistl/
noun
noun: pistol; plural noun: pistols

1. 1.
    a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.
    synonyms:revolver, gun, handgun, sidearm; Moreautomatic, six-shooter, thirty-eight, derringer;
    informalgat, piece;
    trademarkColt, Luger
    "a concealed pistol"
  2. 2.
    USinformal
    a very energetic or enterprising person.
    "when we first met, he was a pistol, full of ideals and a natural leader"

verbdated

verb: pistol; 3rd person present: pistols; past tense: pistolled; past participle: pistolled; gerund or present participle: pistolling; past tense: pistoled; past participle: pistoled; gerund or present participle: pistoling

1. 1.
    shoot (someone) with a pistol.

Shall i keep going?

Sit on it potsy. :grin:

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Merriam Webster can say what it thinks is right. But those true to the wheel know that what I said is proper.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
And the rest of us true to the wheel.

Nemo 8)

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Nemo, you spend too much time around other gun lovers, and you are using the politically-correct lingo of the "in the know" or "good old boys" club.
To normal people, a pistol is a handgun. It could be a semi-auto pistol, a machine pistol, a single-shot pistol, a single-action cowboy style pistol, or a revolver.
Pistol = handgun.
Now, I prefer to call revolvers "revolvers" for the sake of clarity. But just because you and a bunch of other gun aficionados came up with your own restrictive definition of "pistol" doesn't mean you can demand that others comply with your way of thinking, and it's rude to correct people you just met about such fine points of vocabulary anyway.

Bill Jordan, famous lawman and gun writer of the 1950s through the 1980s, used the term "pistol" to refer both to semis and wheelguns.
Check out the free e-version of his seminal 1965 book on gunfighting, "No Second Place Winner." Jordan preferred revolvers, while his contemporary rival, Jeff Cooper, preferred semi-autos. Bill's background was in law enforcement where revolvers were standard for the cops, but many of the bad guys carried autoloaders, so one had to be intimately familiar with them, too. Jeff's background was in the Marines and as a technical adviser to special teams of troops all over the world.
In "No Second Place Winner" the term "pistol" is used 22 times, while "revolver" is only used 18 times, and there are only 19 references to "handgun."
With each term being used about the same number of times in this full-length book, and by reading around those words to check for the context, you'll see that "pistol" and "handgun" are used as synonyms most of the time.

But, this isn't some modern internet armchair commando instructing us. It's just Bill Jordan, who typed his books on a manual typewriter with a ribbon he'd have to put drops of black ink on once in a while. Bill Jordan, who died before most people owned home computers and certainly before people routinely had internet access.
Maybe he was wrong. When I drove through Shreveport, LA back in the early 1990s, I should have stopped by and visited him in retirement and asked him to rethink his choice of words and publish a retraction.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Ready to raise an eyebrow? It is a K32 Masterpiece.
Good on you for keeping the old workhorse in shape and getting it some holster time in real-life carry situations. That's what it was made for.

There was a time when many police agencies in the USA, and MOST of them in the rest of the world, used .32 bore pistols for their officers, even uniformed officers openly carrying.

I see that Buffalo Bore makes a hard-cast lead wadcutter bullet for the .32 long revolvers, and it pushes a flat-front 100 grain bullet at 900 f.p.s., which they say is a full 200 f.p.s. faster than any big-name ammo company's loads for the 100-grain projectile.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345

I'd carry it. Shot placement and speed of getting in the first good hit in a gunfight are what matters. If you're good with Dad's duty revolver, it should serve you if the need came up.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Nemo, you spend too much time around other gun lovers, and you are using the politically-correct lingo of the "in the know" or "good old boys" club.
To normal people, a pistol is a handgun. It could be a semi-auto pistol, a machine pistol, a single-shot pistol, a single-action cowboy style pistol, or a revolver.
Pistol = handgun.
Hey, its that bad for me to needle Solomon about his dark side showing?

And if you are not true to the wheel you may be normal but you are not knowing of the wheel.

Nemo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts