Watch ya' mouth! Internet libel costs!

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by CountryGun, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Reminds me of a news story where a man felt a car dealership gave him a raw deal. He picketed with a sign and finally got satisfaction.

The sign was worded very carefully. It said, "Don't buy a car here without talking to me first".

You got to be careful to avoid saying or writing things that could get you sued for libel.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I wonder if there is a cause of action in libel if the "person" you're slandering and defaming online is only known by their screen name, and nowhere in the thread in question does their real name or contact information appear?
    But what if that name and contact information are easily available? What if some people connect the dots and come to learn the real identity of the person who is being falsely slandered?

Here's another interesting question that has come up here at Georgiapacking before. What if you call somebody a "child molester" because they (some public official in the news, not a member or chatter here) got in trouble for having a sexual relationship with a 16 year old while they were in their 50s? Technically it's not child molestation, statutory rape, or anything else if the kid is over age 16, at least in Georgia. But to a 50-something year old guy, isn't a 16 year old girl a "child"? Isn't he molesting her morally, if not legally? And would a jury care? Could the wrongly-accused non-molester ever get a jury to award him more than nominal damages?

Or how about this: You hear that some guy stole something from his neighbor's house. You go to a message board where the thief hangs out and publicly call him a burglar. But the truth is, he stole a car from his neighbor's driveway. He was never even accused of burglary, which is a much more serious crime than auto theft. Is there a cause of action? Does anybody care about the difference between calling somebody a "car thief" and calling them a "burglar" or "robber"?

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I think you should ask an attorney, gunsmoker. :p

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

sometimes a jury's opinion matters more than what a lawyer finds reading law books and old cases.
    Y'all are my test jury for matters of public opininion.

5. Fallschirmjäger

In the first case you mentioned, it would depend on the context. Some people love to be instigators online, but are Mr Milquetoast in real life. If the remarks are kept to that person's online posts and personality, I don't think there is any slandering going on. However, if the remarks are along the lines of "Fallschirmjäger's really an accountant at a certain well know cash handling company that has a bit of a western themed name, and I heard he's been embezzling money for years to an off-shore bank," then that could easily be different.

In the second case, if it's not technically child molestation, then .... it's not child molestation. There's an old story about Abraham Lincoln asking how many legs a horse would have if you called a tail a leg. It may be a poor choice, but that's a moral, not civil or criminal matter.

The third is interesting. Is an exaggeration of what crime may have occurred something that's actionable (if that's even the proper phraseology?) I would think that legally, it wouldn't be, considering how many times there is a veritable laundry list of charges brought against an accused person by police or prosecutors in the hopes that at least one would stick.

(All in all... some Very thought provoking questions. Good job.)

6. goldshellback

goldshellback New Member

I hope he gets something outta her.

She deserved it.

7. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

WOW

What a freaking LUNATIC. She should be locked up for a LONG time for that crap. Absolutely unbelievable...

8. Fallschirmjäger

They say that talking to yourself is a sure sign you're crazy.

Um,, no it isn't!

Is so.

Is not. It's when you answer yourself.

No ..... it's when you Argue with yourself!

Is Not!

9. m100_explorer

m100_explorer New Member

Wow wonder if this woman had a "thing" for the guy. Seems a bit strange almost a weird stalker thing. You rejected me and I am going to ruin you.

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Wow. I'm thinking of a word... It rhymes with blunt, but has only four letters. It begins with a C, ends with a T, and has a U and a N in the middle.

11. moga

moga New Member

As part of the judgment, the judge should have ordered her to wear a sandwich board for 90 days around Blairsville that asks for forgiveness for ruining Cooley's life and reputation. She should be required to directly help restore his reputation in the same area in which she so callously destroyed it.

12. mpc

mpc New Member

There's literally nothing a person can say that will get them sued for libel. It's impossible.

13. mpc

mpc New Member

Time to check your warning level. :lol:

14. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

I get it :lol: :lol:

15. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

Libel/slander have civil liability not criminal liability.

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of taking dictation? Or, you know, videotape?

17. MyFred

MyFred Banned

If I wasn't familiar wif that ,it would funny.... :?

18. MyFred

MyFred Banned

I would still be tempted to turn it all into a criminal case....after I was done wif her....

19. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Stalkers are dangerous. Always. It doesn't matter "why" they're stalking. The stalking itself is a deep-rooted mental problem. The "habit" of it also tends to lead to escalation.

Isn't there also criminal defamation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp6rVrGmvMs