Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I was a kid my grandfather was friends with an old man who was a genius to repair anything that kept time, who had his shop at his house. The man kept a wad of snuff in his cheek and the place smelled like old snuff, but not in a bad way.

Anyway, looking for someone like that (not necessarily with the snuff, lol) who can fix anything. You know, old school.

I have a bunch of watches that need fixing, one of which is an old Bulova that was my grandfather's.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,939 Posts
I'm not sure if he's still there, but try Swiss Watch and Clock in Roswell.

Bowers Watch Repair on Cheshire Bridge did some work for me not too long ago.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Womble Watch
Address: 2799 Delk Rd SE #300, Marietta, GA 30067
Phone: (770) 952-1812

They are old school, real, watch repair folks. They are NOT cheap. But they are one of the few places in Atlanta that the Watch Collectors will trust with their watches. Watch collecting is one of my hobbies and I can tell you that there are a LOT of fakers out there that can barely change a battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Womble Watch

They are old school, real, watch repair folks. They are NOT cheap. But they are one of the few places in Atlanta that the Watch Collectors will trust with their watches. Watch collecting is one of my hobbies and I can tell you that there are a LOT of fakers out there that can barely change a battery.
+1. Ashley has overhauled my Omega twice (needs to be done every 5 years or so if you wear it regularly) and it always looks new when I get it back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice to see another . . .

watch collector around. I've heard good things about Womble from other collectors, but never personally used him. Another to consider, if he hasn't retired, is Gary Wilson in Lawrenceville.
Tom

·
American
3,289 Posts
watch collector around. I've heard good things about Womble from other collectors, but never personally used him. Another to consider, if he hasn't retired, is Gary Wilson in Lawrenceville.
Tom
Kinda reached saturation myself. Particularly once I got my daily wear Sinn 757 UTC and my hard work G-Shock Aviation analogue face.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Womble Watch

They were recommended to me by D Gellar & Sons to replace the battery in the Movado my father in law gave me, and to service my Seiko auto. I need to get the Movado up to them...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unless you have a . . . .

really high end Seiko auto like something from the Grand Seiko line, it may be cheaper to replace than to service. A watchmaker friend of mine once told me that he never serviced the inexpensive Seiko's like the SKX007, it was cheaper to drop in a band new movement and move on.
Tom

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,825 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,176 Posts
Watch? What is that? Is it like an iPhone or something?
Its something you do to your phone, not something like a phone. It is to keep up with the news and email and all that stuff, including watching the clock on it to see what time it is.

Nemo

·
Registered
754 Posts
really high end Seiko auto like something from the Grand Seiko line, it may be cheaper to replace than to service. A watchmaker friend of mine once told me that he never serviced the inexpensive Seiko's like the SKX007, it was cheaper to drop in a band new movement and move on.
Tom
It's just a Seiko 5 Sports, everyday watch. It's always gained time, I guess it needs to be regulated. Plus, after 5 years of wear, it's due a really thorough cleaning. If I ever get around to taking the Movado in, I'll see what they say.

·
American
3,289 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
It's just a Seiko 5 Sports, everyday watch. It's always gained time, I guess it needs to be regulated. Plus, after 5 years of wear, it's due a really thorough cleaning. If I ever get around to taking the Movado in, I'll see what they say.
Regulating a Seiko 5 Sport is pretty easy, and definitely not worth what will be charged. As for a really thorough cleaning......I have a 45 year old Seiko with a 7000 series movement in it (precursor to your 7s movement in the Sport) that has never been cleaned and runs just fine every time I wear it. Cleaning a Seiko 5 is not cost-efficient as it will cost you at least what a complete replacement would cost.

·
69,784 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
as do i hopefully it last me the next 20 years :crossfinger:
It should. Amazing technology in that watch. Mine is a couple years older but has most of what that one has. I actually ordered it from Italy and saved 60% on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.