Watch Repair - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, May 20, 2017.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Back when I was a kid my grandfather was friends with an old man who was a genius to repair anything that kept time, who had his shop at his house. The man kept a wad of snuff in his cheek and the place smelled like old snuff, but not in a bad way.

Anyway, looking for someone like that (not necessarily with the snuff, lol) who can fix anything. You know, old school.

I have a bunch of watches that need fixing, one of which is an old Bulova that was my grandfather's.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Watch? What is that? Is it like an iPhone or something?

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm not sure if he's still there, but try Swiss Watch and Clock in Roswell.

Bowers Watch Repair on Cheshire Bridge did some work for me not too long ago.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Womble Watch
    Address: 2799 Delk Rd SE #300, Marietta, GA 30067
    Phone: (770) 952-1812

They are old school, real, watch repair folks. They are NOT cheap. But they are one of the few places in Atlanta that the Watch Collectors will trust with their watches. Watch collecting is one of my hobbies and I can tell you that there are a LOT of fakers out there that can barely change a battery.

5. Georgia1911

Georgia1911 Member

+1. Ashley has overhauled my Omega twice (needs to be done every 5 years or so if you wear it regularly) and it always looks new when I get it back.

6. Tom S.

Tom S. Member

Nice to see another . . .

watch collector around. I've heard good things about Womble from other collectors, but never personally used him. Another to consider, if he hasn't retired, is Gary Wilson in Lawrenceville.
    Tom

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Kinda reached saturation myself. Particularly once I got my daily wear Sinn 757 UTC and my hard work G-Shock Aviation analogue face.

8. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

They were recommended to me by D Gellar & Sons to replace the battery in the Movado my father in law gave me, and to service my Seiko auto. I need to get the Movado up to them...

9. Tom S.

Tom S. Member

Unless you have a . . . .

really high end Seiko auto like something from the Grand Seiko line, it may be cheaper to replace than to service. A watchmaker friend of mine once told me that he never serviced the inexpensive Seiko's like the SKX007, it was cheaper to drop in a band new movement and move on.
    Tom

10. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

you can pretty much live with just a phone now but my current occupation there arent any phone allowed so i still need a wrist watch plus i feel weird not wearing one since ive always worn one..i actually just bought a new watch should be delivered tomorrow https://www.govx.com/p/58804/mens-g-shock-mt-g-chronograph-watch

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Its something you do to your phone, not something like a phone. It is to keep up with the news and email and all that stuff, including watching the clock on it to see what time it is.

Nemo

12. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

It's just a Seiko 5 Sports, everyday watch. It's always gained time, I guess it needs to be regulated. Plus, after 5 years of wear, it's due a really thorough cleaning. If I ever get around to taking the Movado in, I'll see what they say.

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Very nice subdued G-Shock! I love the combination of analogue readout (hands) and G-Shock resilience.
    [​IMG]

14. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Regulating a Seiko 5 Sport is pretty easy, and definitely not worth what will be charged. As for a really thorough cleaning......I have a 45 year old Seiko with a 7000 series movement in it (precursor to your 7s movement in the Sport) that has never been cleaned and runs just fine every time I wear it. Cleaning a Seiko 5 is not cost-efficient as it will cost you at least what a complete replacement would cost.

15. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

This is my primary "watch". Helps me remember when the garbage needs to be put on the curb. :lol:

Attached Files:

16. Malum Prohibitum

Why no price?

17. Malum Prohibitum

OUCH! :cpubeatme: Nevermind. I saw the price elsewhere.

18. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

gotta be logged into govx to see it. i got it on sale for 480$ i have been super frugal and my last watch with a plastic band flew off riding the motorcycle so i got one with a metal band :p

19. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

as do i hopefully it last me the next 20 years :crossfinger:

20. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It should. Amazing technology in that watch. Mine is a couple years older but has most of what that one has. I actually ordered it from Italy and saved 60% on it.