WASR10 Upper Handguard Removal

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ptsmith24, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:help:

So, I broke it down completely yesterday and now I'm trying to put the AK back together. I'm having trouble getting the wood back onto the gas tube. It'll go about 30 degrees around and then won't budge. The couple videos I found online make it look like as easy as twisting a doorknob. It wasn't this difficult taking off. Any suggestions?

2. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

The first time I tried to take it off the damn thing bit me. It drew blood too. :cry: I can't really offer much help though. I just beat it into submission. Nothing a little rubber mallet couldn't take care of. :)

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I got it now. I don't have too many tools here to work with. A mismatched open-ended wrench and some grunting took care of the job. I cleaned every speck of cosmoline (and Wolf turds from the 60 rounds I fired Saturday). Hopefully it'll fire jam-free and smoother later on this week or weekend when I get to the range again. :D I polished up the furniture a little bit while it was all apart, too. Looks much better now. I don't have a camera here to take pics with, though.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, and it drew plenty of blood trying to get the bolt unstuck and clear jammed rounds yesterday. I think I showed it who's boss now, though. 8)

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Why are you cleaning an AK?

AK's are like coffee cups. If you clean them, you lose that protective crust that forms. :-s

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

There was still a bunch of cosmoline buildup and such and I think that's what was causing the jams and feeding problems. I'll found out later on this week or weekend if it worked or not. After now, cleaning won't be a huge priority.

7. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

what kid of ammo were you firing? A buddy recently got a Century Yugo M70AB2, and it jammed up solid with S&B brass-cased ammo.

it mic'd at like .311 diameter, whereas Wolf steel-cased did .307.... the S&B (son of beech?) simply would not chamber correctly. then again these are new barrels on the Yugo folders, so maybe just a tight chamber. Mine works fine too, only shot Wolf and Golden Tiger out of it though.

do you have mag wobble in the WASR? Was the chamber filled with cosmo, or does it have burrs ??

I like to put a tiny dab of grease on the frame rails, then work the bolt a few times. but thats it.

i haven't cleaned the bore or bolt or gas piston on my AK's in several hundred rounds.... i just keep shooting them.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I was shooting 122 grain Brown Bear. I have some Wolf on the way, though. The mag wobble is very minimal. There was a good bit of cosmoline on it when I bought it, but I cleaned it when I got home fairly well. Then, I cleaned it again this past Friday. Then, I took it completely apart. Well...not completely. Just field strip + furniture removal. I detailed every last corner I could find (Took me two days off and on). Lubed up the rails and put it all back together. Cycled the action several times. Field stripped it again to make sure there wasn't too much excess CLP.

I plan on going to the range Wednesday or Thursday to see if the jam problem is fixed. And, if it is, I'm going to work on sighting it in if I can get the front sight to budge.

9. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

You got that little tool kit with it right? The one that is in the black metal tube. It has this weird looking metal piece in there that I couldn't find a use for. Then I saw it on a website. http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/sightin.htm Turns out it is the front sight adjustment tool. I got mine and it was sighted in close to dead on. I haven't adjusted it yet. I was just blasting, didn't feel like sighting it in right then. I'll do it when I get back.

I've been using wolf and bear ammo in the thing. It hasn't had a problem jamming in over 1,000 rounds other than those caused by a dented magazine and not enough spring tension on the drum magazine.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea I know about that tool for elevation adjustment. I'm talking about front sight windage adjustment. It's stuck all the way to the left (shooter's point of view), so it shoots slightly right.

11. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

i got an AK/SKS front sight tool, the elevation key is very simply obviously but the windage is a small screw-in press to push the thing from side to side.

they can be had online for about $7-12... Tapco makes a pretty good one

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, hopefully I can find that tool around here locally (preferably at the range wednesday or thursday). Shoot Straight (http://www.shootstraightonline.com/index.htm) looks like it has a pretty good selection of stuff. Of course, I thought the same thing about East Orange and Rieg's...

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Got it to the range last night. Only had 1 round out of 200+ fail to feed. I'd say that's not bad. Pretty accurate, too, but I still have to get that tool to adjust the sights. :righton:

14. spam_can

spam_can New Member

That windage adjustment can be a real bear;

When I built my AMD-65, I had to support the rifle on it's side, on 2x4's with one right under the front sight. Then about a 1/4" drift punch and hammer got the pin to move. Would have probably have screwed up a sight tool (which I don't have) because the press fit was so tight.