Wasp Spray for Self Defense

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Fallschirmjäger, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

https://youtu.be/YWj4xuacbyY

No, just no.
    It's been recommended in the past but everyone seems to have agreed that it's useless. Here's video proof for any doubters.

Do NOT depend on insect spray to deter an attacker.

2. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Not even if you use a lighter...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sC29_XR88[/ame]

3. Headspace

Headspace Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

5. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

The best manstopper is a mixture of Pb, Sb or Sn either by themselves or encased in Cu.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't believe anything I see on the internet. This video could be faked. Those spray cans could have been some other product but wearing a "wasp spray" label.

That being said, everytime somebody with a degree in chemistry, biology, veternary science,etc., addresses the question, the answer is always the same:

NO, wasp spray does not work on humans like it works on wasps.
    The active ingredient ( pyrethrin) works on the central nervous system of wasps, but not people. It may or may not cause bad things down the line (cancer, sterility, whatever...) but it doesn't cause bad guys to pass out, scream in pain, lose their vision, or anything useful like that.

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I believe the "wasp spray" for self defense was started a long time ago, when the ingredients were far, far different than what ingredients are used today. Many might remember that the WWII Germany's nerve agent was Zyklon B a mixture of hydrogen cyanide (prussic acid), a cautionary eye irritant, and one of several adsorbents such as diatomaceous earth.

8. janedoedad

janedoedad Liver Abuser

If you want to ruin an attackers eyes and respiratory system, most aerosol oven cleaners will work effectively. The ones containing lye will cause even more damage.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've had to spray wasp and hornet nests located almost directly above my head, with no way to aim at them from the side. So I would get dying wasps and dripping wasp spray all over my hair, face, and shoulders when I used it.
    No reaction at all. The wasps were instantly incapacitated and I was just fine.

I know from experience that if I had that much exposure to any chemical defensive spray, CS, CN (MACE), or O.C., it would have ruined my day!

10. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

What is this "wasp spray" you guys are talking about? Out here in the country we kill 'em with a cup full of gasoline. Insta-dead.

11. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I've got yellow jackets behind a wooden retaining wall the jet stream hornet spray just isn't able to penetrate. If anybody has any ideas.

12. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Buy a cheap shop vac off CL. Leave it running for a few hours. Block the intake then unplug it and place it up the road with a sign that says "Free Pokemon inside".

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

When they got into the wall of my RV I used a combination of 1/2 PVC and a shop vac.

The shop vac was first left running near the opening so any attempting to escape were captured. The PVC was cut at a shallow angle like a hypodermic and pushed into the nest area. I filled the pipe with spray, then used the air compressor to force the spray into the nest. After 10-12 hits of this they were all pretty groggy so I used the shop vac rigid hose and pushed it into the next pulling out chunks of nest and wasps. Periodically I dosed the vac with wasp spray.

Amazingly, we took out a nest that was probably 12"x16"x 4" containing a thousand or so yellow jackets without a single sting.

14. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of something similar with the vacuum attachment for my electric blower. Less the Pokemon sign.

15. phaed

phaed Active Member

hell, wasp spray doesn't even protect you from wasps 100%. i used a can of that stuff on a nest one time. it killed most of them...most. the other handful were really pissed at what i'd just done. i had to run away like brave sir robin.

16. Headspace

Headspace Member

By all means keep your pistol. I was just giving other options to wasp spray. Though I have a small fire extinguisher sized O.C. can, my home defense go to is my AR pistol while my Wife takes the shotty.

17. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

"...here, hold my beer..."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40zHmXT5GE[/ame]

18. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

That :censored: would go viral...

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

19. Headspace

Headspace Member

20. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

If you know where the entrance hole is, wait until it's dark, pour about a cup of gasoline in it and then cover it with a bowl. I have to do this a couple times a year around some of the stumps and other places they like to build their nests.