Was election a victory for gun owners?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by EJR914, Nov 4, 2010.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... gun-owners

Codrea weighs in on the election and questions whether it is a victory for gun owners. I believe it was. I think we know that we may now can strangle any new federal gun control laws for the next two years, but how about REPEALING some existing gun laws?

I'd love it if they repealed the entire Firearm Owners Protection Act, that our wonderful Republican President Ronald Reagan signed into law back in 1986. :mrgreen:

2. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

I don't think we would want them to repeal the entire thing unless it was replaced with something better. It did do some good, like the Safe Passage provision and ending ammo sales record keeping.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This.

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

We can just repeal all the anti-gun pieces, its very easy to do. Just mark out all the bad code and leave all the good.

5. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Unfortunately, I predict more if the same that we've had since 94. Maybe a little talk, but no real movement when it comes to federal gun laws. I guess at least it won't get worse, but I don't see it getting any better, either. The real gun fights are going to stay at state level, where it's been mostly positive, so that's good.

Now, this does set up an interesting situation if anything ever happens with the various 10th amendment related firearms freedom acts. Might a pro-gun congress side with the states or, at least, hinder any fed action against them? And we also have heller and McDonald to keep in mind, as there really hasn't been much that's come out of those two cases yet.

6. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Nationwide reciprocity maybe??

7. slammy

slammy New Member

:righton:

8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

As long as it's without a nationwide license. Live in a state that you have a permit or doesn't require a permit, and all other states have to offer reciprocity.

Personally I'd just like to see constitutional carry (shall not be infringed). That would take care of reciprocity right there.

9. Jonas Salk

Jonas Salk Member

I don't know enough about it. Why would we want to repeal the FOPA?

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Because it banned people from being able to register new transferable machine guns under the NFA.