Warner Robins Museum of Aviation at WR AFB

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by kristensdaddy, Mar 6, 2018.

1. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

Headed to Warner Robins on Saturday and I would like to visit the Museum of Aviation at the Warner Robins Air Force Base.

A tax records search shows the physical property owned by the Air Force. The Museum website describes their facility as "situated on 51 acres next to Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, Georgia."

Under either circumstance, I would not carry within the buildings but what about having a firearm in my vehicle (I'm 2 hours from home) on Air Force property? From a google earth view, the entrance to the museum is outside the entry gate to the base.

Anyone have any particular guidance on this issue?

Thanks, (and I did try the search function).

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Don't do it.

3. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

I have been there several times. The last time was about a year ago. You do not go through any security checkpoints to get into the parking lot for the museum. The lot is easily accessible and open to the general public. I don't recall seeing any signage about no firearms in the parking lot. I wouldn't carry inside, but I know some who have. There is no screening nor are there any metal detectors going into the buildings.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It is a Federal Facility. You are subject to arrest by Air Force Police and Federal Security on the Museum property. Act accordingly.

5. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

The entrance to the museum is clearly marked with signage stating you are entering part of the installation. If I'm remembering right, that signage also clearly says weapons are prohibited on the base. I wouldn't do it, but what awanatech says matches my experience. I also had the luxury of living in WR, so I wasn't two hours from home.

6. tsangster

tsangster Member

There may or may not have been a gun in my vehicle when I visited 3-4 years ago. There was not one on my person. If the EC135 is still there and in rough shape please ask someone nicely to get my plane out of the woods.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I carried there. It's an interesting place.

8. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I agree. Especially since I have no idea if there would be any law enforcement interaction during a visit there, and whether or not there might be any "officer discretion" involved, I would not take any chances by carrying there. But I bet if it were inside a locked case inside your vehicle in the parking lot, with all things considered on it being such a "public" place, then the chance of anything happening if somehow discovered would be very slim.

9. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

I seems that my question points out the problem with gun free zones. As someone who has read the law and tries to comply, the website for the museum does not accurately describe that it is ON a military base. Because I bothered to research the issue I will be unarmed on the day trip to Warner Robins. Another Joe Citizen may not be so fortunate.

10. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

What day are you visiting? I might be able to hold it for you!
    As a employee at Robins, there are more guns on that base than they like to admit! I have talked to my deputy flight chief and he has admitted to having his gun in his jeep and driven on the base and realized hours later that it was there.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yes, but we know that base commanders have discretion about allowing weapons on base and Robins base commander appears to be adamantly opposed. Given that state of affairs it is more likely that the Provost Marshall or whatever passes for such on an AFB will not be kindly disposed if an issue arises.

12. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy Member

So we did go to the Museum of Aviation and very much enjoyed it. The entrance is separate from any base entrances but the signs make it clear that you are entering a military base including the warning that you, your posessions and your vehicle are subject to search at any time. Were there guns in vehicles? Probably. Were there guns in mine? No.