War Vets: Only one complaint.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by BWCustoms, Sep 30, 2010.

1. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

And its more about a specific type of war vet, not all war vets. First off I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves in the military.

I however cannot STAND vets who feel the need to let you know that they are war vets before even a basic introductory, like a name, or a hello.

Just to give you an example, one of my jobs is technical support. About a week ago I had a guy call in and the first thing out of his mouth is, "I am a war vet! I want to know why my bill is so high! Why would you do this to a war vet?!"

Long story short, his bill (which I am not even a billing rep) was high because he decided not pay his bill for 2 months and somehow determined being a war vet entitled him to get out of free cards and he was going to sure let all of us know that.

/end rant :screwy:

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Those idiopts don't bug you half as much as they do other vets.

3. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Along the lines of the repeated Fox News stories of vets who buy a house in a subdivision, with an HOA, with rules against flying flags. Then decide to fly their flags anyway. And because they are vets, they think they should be allowed. How many times has this story, with different characters, been told?

I wouldn't buy a house where there were such stupid rules to begin with. But if I did, and agreed to the rules, I have no cause to complain or violate them, and being a vet (yes I am) does not give me license to do so.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The American flag should be welcome on every home, or on a flagpole in every yard.
    In any neighborhood or subdivision or office park. Everywhere.
    And any rule or contract term against it should be void and unenforcable as against public policy.
    (Should be--- I'm not saying that's how it "is" now.)

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Isn't there a federal law protecting flying the flag? Didn't a homeowner just win this issue in court recently? Isn't there a thread about it here on this site?

6. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

this

7. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

rule or not, I'll be damned if I'm told to take down my flag.

8. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

I agree the flag rule is stupid. But if they agreed to abide by it, isn't there some sense of honor in keeping your word?

MP, I am not aware of a recent case resolved in favor of the homeowner. Even if so, however, I doubt it was won on the grounds of "I'm a war vet, so the rule shouldn't apply to me."

9. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

:lol: Try working phone debt collections. Apparently, these folks think you don't have to pay for anything again and no one is to hassle you about your broken promises because you served!

10. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

suppose you buy a house and part of the HOA rules were no guns allowed in the home. At the time you signed it you didn't care, but now you understand the need to own a gun for protection.

11. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

9 times out of 10 the ones that do that are the ones who never seen anything more dangerous than the chow hall.

Or they were in the Air Force.....

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Isn't that redundant for about 95% of the Air Force?

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

14. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Then you take it up with the HOA or move. It's like that guy who enlisted and then decided being deployed to the middle east violated his Islamic beliefs - He signed the paper, he has to deal with it.

HOAs are idiotic, but you honor your promise, even if it was a bad idea to make it.

15. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Read my link above! HOA's no longer have any say in this, per President Bush!

16. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

+1

17. 11b101abn

11b101abn Member

Bull.

I fought under it, and I will fly it whenever and whenever I choose to do so. Period.

18. RedLeg17

RedLeg17 Active Member

Yeah, there's a guy at work that's convinced that he somehow a more valuable Vet because he spent a year inside the wire at an airbase cooking eggs and bacon and I got off of active duty before the war started. The vets I hear talking the most, are the ones that only saw the host country of their deployment from the window of the airliner on landing and takeoff.

I just tell him that I still got my GWOT medal, but I got it driving to Ft. Benning every day for a year.... 5 minutes from my house, I think I got the better end of the deal.

19. fiwit

fiwit New Member

As I recall, the issue wasn't that he was flying the flag, it was that he erected a flagpole without permission. I don't know of any HOAs that have said you flat-out can't fly a flag -- the ones I've seen have said you can't install a huge flagpole in your front yard without first running it by the HOA. And the home-owners, who willingly bought a home in a neighborhood with an HOA, and are thus bound by the HOA covenants, chose to ignore those rules and install flagpoles without permission. If the folks in question had chosen to hang a flag from their front porch, there might have never been an issue. OR if they had followed the rules and gotten permission to build the flagpole first.

The much easier answer is to avoid HOAs like the proverbial plague.

None of which applies to the original post -- so here's my attempt to stay on topic. When I was in the military, they taught me that I was responsible for any debts or expenses I incurred. Do they not teach that anymore? Or have they included a caveat that war-era vets (even if never deployed) don't have to honor their debts? (or - more likely -- have some folks just decided that rules don't apply to them?)