Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really shot any real competition type shooting but been wanting to get into it for awhile and fiqued I could get some pointers of how to start from you guys/gals that have. I looked over the USPSA website and I think I need go to a qualification match but not real sure. So how should I go about starting and what/how/when and where do I go from thar? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

I quess I'm wanting to know the ins and outs, P's and Q's of the whole thing.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There are several divisions you could shoot in. What would you be using for a firearm? You need enough magazines to handle 40-50 rounds depending on where you shoot your match and how many extra shots you may need to take. Better to have to many rounds than not enough. I shoot Production where you are limited to 10 rounds in a mag so I carry 5. You don't have to empty a mag and sometimes it's beneficial to drop one on the run and have a fresh one ready at the next position.

If you haven't visited a match, just show up and watch one. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

There isn't a qualification 'match' per se. Usually a club with have a Classifier stage setup to shoot. This is a stage from a list supplied by USPSA that is used to rank you against other shooters. Once you shoot four of these you receive your initial classification for the division you shoot in. Some clubs shoot once a month and have a classifier stage at each match, other clubs shoot weekly and have a classifier on a specific week of the month. It depends on where you shoot and you can roam from club to club and shoot every week if you want to.

Cherokee Gun Club hosts a match this weekend. It would be a great place to watch as they have 6 shooting bays going at one time. http://www.cherokeeipsc.org/

The GA IPSC web site has a list of places to shoot matches. http://georgiaipsc.com/

By the way, it should be FREE to shoot your first match!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No PM received?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to be shooting a 1911. But I do have a M&P 40 and 45 but extra mags run around $40 so ill probably stick with the 1911.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are these matches kinda like a league where you move up in the rankings or no ranking and just 1st 2nd 3rd per match. Are the prizes bragging rights or t+shirts or cash? Not that it really matters ill be doing it for the fun of it anyway.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Prizes vary from club to club. In some cases there are none, others have cash or maybe plaques. In any case there are scores kept and you can see how you placed by stage and overall.

Each time you shoot a classifier stage your ranking can change. It seems structured so that you have a hard time going backwards in rank even when you have a bad classifier. I might mention that in order to have classifiers count you do have to become a USPSA member.

When USPSA has State and Regional matches the prize tables are significant.

There is a single stack 1911 division. See page 82 of the rules for single stack firearm requirements.

Rules http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

Some of these clubs have Top ranked shooters at them. You'll be able to pick up tips/techniques from some of the best shooters out there. I've shot with Dave Sevigny a couple of times.

Also, check out youtube videos of matches. They'll help you learn some about the stage format.

Good luck. It's a blast. Just take your time on your first match. Don't rush. Be safe, the speed will come later.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
A typical 1911 with no rail or elongated dust cover will meet the weight limit requirement. Also, leave the tungsten guide rod out. The idea is to eliminate any competitive advantage presented by the way the gun is built.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check out North Atlanta Action Shooters @ Bulleyes in Cumming on Sunday night. They have a website and will be more than happy to help you into the sport. There are several small weekly indoor matches where you can ease into it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you are new to shooting competitions, I recommend you shoot at the Griffin Steel Match a couple times. It will train you in a safe manner how the competitions work, the commands, drawing from a holster, etc. The best part is that there is generally no movement. Moving and shooting is where most people get in trouble, ie DQ'ed.

You'll see the same folks shooting steel as shoot USPSA. Its as serious as USPSA.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You can even look into IDPA shoots they are relatively inexpensive depending on how much you plan to shoot and a yearly membership isn't too bad as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts