Wanted -- .22 semiauto pistol

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by gunsmoker, Nov 6, 2006.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I am looking for a medium-sized and light weight .22 pistol for plinking and training new shooters. A semi-auto. I have a good revolver in that caliber already. I thought my Walther P22 would be perfect, but it has reliability issues. And it is just not as accurate as I would have hoped. But really, it's the reliability that concerns me most. I want new shooters to have only positive experiences, not the frustration of learning how to clear a malfunction.

I think I would like a S&W 422. Light, flat, and very ergonomic grips. The Ruger 22/45 wouldn't be bad, but I hate how thick and heavy the barrel is, and the sharply undercut target-style front sight is not good for my purposes (I suppose I could have it reconfigured and re-blued / blackened). I once bought a Phoenix Arms "Rangemaster" for this purpose, but it was unreliable, too (though very accurate). The Browning Buckmark looks promising, but the grip thickness seems rather large for women's and kids' hands.

Any suggestions?
    Anything in somebody's collection they'd like to sell?

--Gunsmoker--

2. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Ruger Mark II

Used ones are fairly cheap at adventure outdoors. (under $200.00)

3. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

gunsmoker ...what kind of problem are you having with the p-22 mine has been trouble free other than an occasional stove pipe,shoots were i point it,lite and easy to control :?:

4. grayelky

grayelky New Member

If you have accuracy issues w/ the P22, adjust the barrel nut. The tension makes a difference in where it hits.

5. artz

artz New Member

The ruger 22/45 in the 4" short barrel is very accurate, even at 100 yards, and its not heavy. You would believe it to be top heavy, but its not...

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I would go with the Ruger in either 22/45 or the Mark II. They are both accurate and reliable because they both have the same major internal parts (trigger, hammer, sear, bolt) and barrels. If it ever starts to have failures to feed, replace the exctractor for a whopping $10. If you are looking for a gun with all the added safety features like a chamber loaded indicator, magazine disconnect safety and more look at the Ruger Mark III and 22/45 Mark III, though those wont be as cheap.

It comes with a fairly good trigger, hammer, and sear already but for about $40 you can have a competition ready .22 (not your current purpose I know, however it was mine)

This is Frankenruger (my 22/45 I modified for competitions). The gun is more accurate than I am (2 handed, standing) WITHOUT all the stuff.
    [​IMG]

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Front Sight

I replaced the front sight on my 22/45 with a standard ruger front sight from a single six. It is just held in with a screw.

8. rajl

rajl New Member

I can say nothing but good things about my Browning Buckmark. It fits my hands perfectly, and is accurate enough for practice plinking. I get the occasional FTF or extraction error, but that's because I use the ultra-cheap .22 ammo you can get at Walmart (550 rounds, less than 10 bucks).

As far as fitting small hands, I don't know what to say. All .22 semi-auto's I've seen on the market are going to be too big for people with small hands, be it a man, woman, or child. But that's the problem of having small hands.

9. gunsmoker

Small Hands

Rajl, the Walther P22 and the Phoenix Arms Rangemaster have thin frames and small grips. I think the Sig "Trailside" and the S&W model 422 also have a smaller grip than most .22 pistols. So people with smaller-than-average hands are not just outta luck. But some of those are not as accurate as I'd like, or as reliable, or not in my price range.

Decisions, decisions.

---------------------
    By the way, to address some other poster's questions:

The Walther P22 sometimes won't feed a new round from the magazine. I think the slide is not going back far enough. It doesn't even attempt to feed the new round into the chamber. Sometimes it doesn't cock the hammer-- I might have two or three Double Action Only shots in a row before going back to SA mode. And yes, I am using high velocity ammo in normal bullet weights (36-40 grains).

And that tip about replacing the razor-sharp front sight on the Ruger 22/45 with a ramped version taken from a Ruger Single Six is a good idea.

I would like to see Ruger make the .22/45 with an aluminium or carbon-fiber barrel with a thin steel liner, and an alloy frame. And they should offer high-visabilty (fiber optic, light-gathering) fixed sights (adjustable for windage only). This would make the 22/45 much lighter, thus more suitable for plinking and taking camping or hiking. And it would be more comfortable for women and kids to hold and shoot.

10. gunsmoker

Mafuta 54

Thanks for the tip about a used Ruger Mk2. They are certainly in the right price range, and I know they will be reliable. I would be interested in the 4" tapered barrel, fixed sights. They are rather heavy, though, and that's why I have not bought one yet. I did buy a Ruger 22/45 years ago, and although I liked it most smaller-framed people who held it complained that it was too heavy. Ditto for anything made by High Standard. The new S&W .22 pistols are simply too BIG, although they're not all that heavy.

P.S. I love your quote. My guns must be defective, too. They haven't caused any death or destruction yet, other than the death of game animals during hunting and the destruction of empty Diet Coke cans when plinking.

11. gunsmoker

Where to Buy

If I end up buying a discontinued model used gun, like the S&W model 422, I may have to find one online and have it shipped to a local FFL. My choices of who to buy it from will probably be few. But if I want to buy a brand-new .22 semi-auto, a popular make and model, does anybody have any suggestions about dealers / distributors? My local gun shop sells plain blued steel Ruger MK2 and MK 3 pistols for $270, when I think I could get them elsewhere for $200-$225. I am going to check with Southern Ohio Gun distributors, and J&G Sales out of Arizona. Any other jobbers / distributors I should look at? Or retail guns shops in the Atlanta area, like Adventure Outdoors or Hot Shots?

12. tony218

tony218 New Member

gunshow nov. 18-19 farmers market

13. grayelky

grayelky New Member

Adventure Outdoors is probably going to have some of the better prices around Cobb Co. Their phone number is 770-333-9880. If there are any pawn shops close enough for you, they are usually a good source for nice guns at somewhat reasonable prices. They also have some junk, so check it out carefully. Like so many others, I think a Ruger will be hard to beat.

Does it have/need to be a semi-auto? A Ruger Bearcat is on a small frame, so the smaller folks can handle it easier, and it is fairly light. It will require a deliberate cocking of the hammer each time before it can be fired, so there is an element of safety that is not present w/ a semi-auto. There are also several good quality, .22 double action revolvers available.

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I'm joining the discussion late, but I second the suggestions for a Ruger Mark II. It is very reliable and very accurate. It is heavy, as you say. Also, it is a pain to break down (though it can be cleaned fairly well without doing so).

I believe the Mark III has some "improvements" that you may prefer not to have. It has a loaded chamber indicator. Although I would not mind such a feature, I understand it does not provide a good indication. I would rather not have an indicator than one that is ambiguous.

I think it also has a no magazine-no fire feature. I don't like that.

So, I'd stick with the Mark II and not get the Mark III.

15. gunsmoker

Final Choices

I used to own a Ruger 22/45, and I have handled and shot many variations of the Ruger MK2. They are not too heavy for ME, but I think they will be too heavy for some of the guests and newbies that I intend to introduce to handgun shooting with a .22 semi-auto pistol. The grip size is tolerable, but not a perfect fit for my hand. Smaller and thinner would be better.

It looks like among new production guns, the Beretta Neos wins. It is large, and rather heavy, but it is not the heaviest of the full-size .22s. What makes it different from ALL the other full-size .22 semis is that the grip is small and contoured to fit the human hand perfectly. I don't know anything about the gun's record of reliability, but since the manufacturer has a good reputation as to other guns, and assuming it comes with a good warranty, I'd be willing to risk it.

Among used or discontinued model guns, the S&W model 422 series is ideal. The grips are thin and the trigger reach is short. The frame is a lightweight alloy. The type of action the gun uses looks odd, but it has been used with great success for years in the Model 41 target pistol. The 422 handguns are good-looking too, in a traditional way. The Beretta Neos, on the other hand, looks like a Buck Rogers space ray gun! I can buy a like-new S&W 422, in the box with the papers, about 10 years old, for $230. I'm strongly leaning that way.

P.S. The gunsmith says I wore out my Walther P22. I think I've only fired 1000 rounds through it. 500 with the suppressor, 500 without. The sear is worn down, and the slide and frame rails are also developing way too much play. I'm getting failures to feed, short-cyling, and the hammer following the slide forward. Luckily the gun hasn't gone full auto yet, but that may be in the near future if I don't send it back.

I'll put another 1000 rounds through it and then promptly send the annoying little machine pistol back to S&W. :twisted: