Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thorsen said:
I called GCIC and spoke with Nina who informed me that their computer system has been down since the end of July and is still not up and working. Evidently they are changing over systems and were supposed to be online by this last Monday, but that didn't work out as planned.

She suggested I call back next week at which time the system will hopefully be up and running and someone in their office will then check to see if GCIC has processed me or not. According to her, before the computer changeover they were completely up to date on background checks so if my information came in sometime in July, as it should have, then I should already have been processed by them.

I'll follow up with them next Monday.
If we have a system that is down more than a couple of hours, my job is at risk. Either someone is blowing smoke, or ga.gov is even worse than I thought.

·
Registered
724 Posts
:sheep:

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I called back today and spoke with Marina at the GCIC. After checking the computer she told me that my prints were processed on August 3rd. I went on to ask her if they were batch mailed or done individually as batch mailings could take longer. She told me that the mail room mails them individually so it should have gone out that day or the very next.

So that means that Walton County Probate has my results back from the GCIC. What other information should I collect before I contact the probate court again?

Thanks.

·
16,485 Posts
Thorsen said:
Well I called back today and spoke with Marina at the GCIC. After checking the computer she told me that my prints were processed on August 3rd. I went on to ask her if they were batch mailed or done individually as batch mailings could take longer. She told me that the mail room mails them individually so it should have gone out that day or the very next.

So that means that Walton County Probate has my results back from the GCIC. What other information should I collect before I contact the probate court again?

Thanks.
Ask her what she's wearing.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update:

I contacted the Walton Probate Court and spoke with Ashley who without even asking me my name somehow knew that my GFL had not been processed yet. When I explained to her that the GCIC had processed the background check on August 3rd and mailed out the results that day she then told me that the sheriff's office had not sent them the information .... keep in mind, all of this was done without her ever knowing my name or even the date when I applied .... magic!

So, I call the Walton County Sheriff's office and ask them to check their records regarding GCIC checks related to GFLs. The woman I spoke with could not answer my question, but she put me on hold while she asked her supervisor. When she came back on-line she told me that according to her supervisor all GCIC results received within the last two weeks (which should include mine if the GCIC mailed it out on 8/3 as I was told) had been sent to the probate court.

Hmmm.

I ask her to verify this again with her supervisor as the probate court is telling me that they haven't received anything. This time she simply lowers the phone and I can hear her asking someone that question. She comes back on-line and tells me that, yes, all GFL background checks received within the last two weeks have most definitely been forwarded to the court.

I thank her and call back the probate court. This time I get Emily, who seemed to be in a specially foul mood ... or maybe she just doesn't like talking to GFL applicants. Anyway, as soon as she hears me explain that I am calling in reference to a GFL application that was placed in July, she snaps, "It will take at least six months!". I didn't appreciate her tone of voice, but I kept myself calm and explained that I had already contacted GCIC who had already processed my fingerprints and mailed them to Walton County Sheriff. I then informed her that the Walton County Sheriff had batched all of the GFL background checks and sent them to the probate court, so that I knew the information was complete and at the courthouse waiting on a signature.

Only at this point was my name asked, at which point I was put on hold for about two minutes. When Emily came back to the phone she said that there was a box full of GFL applications for them to go through and that they were working as fast as they could to process them all. She did not and would not confirm for me that my results were in that box.

So either I will get my GFL processed quicker now for knowing that they have the necessary information already at the courthouse, or it will be sat on long enough for me to set a new record.

I will continue to politely check on my GFL status, but by day 61 I plan on attempting to enlist the aid of my Georgia State Senator, Bill Cowsert, and Georgia Representative, Jeff May. Luckily for me, both are pro-second amendment, so hopefully one or both will assist me in lighting a fire under the probate court.

·
68,469 Posts
Thorsen said:
Update:

I contacted the Walton Probate Court and spoke with Ashley who without even asking me my name somehow knew . . .
:lol:

Maybe you are the only one. :wink:

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I wouldn't wait until day 61. I'd go ahead and start getting something rolling. Since they obviously have your information, you need to know what the hold up is. However, I do understand why you would want to wait until 61.

·
68,469 Posts
Well, at least now you know that whatever delays are occurring are not reasonably attributable to the investigative process, as Moore v. Cranford put it.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well what do ya know?!

Came home today and my wife handed me an envelope with the probate court's address on it. I opened it to find a brand new GFL issued to me :D

I checked the date on the GFL and it was dated yesterday, so evidently sometime after my phone call on 8/14 Emily and company managed to get around to processing that big box of GFL background checks.

Time from start of process to finish, including the day of application: 40 days

Not too bad and much better than the six months Emily kept wanting to tell me it would take.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am preparing to take my wife to the Probate Court in Walton Co to apply for her GFL (she should have gotten it in Newton Co...).

I called the Probate Court and got a very nasty lady on the phone. I stated that I just wanted to confirm the items listed on the recording. She confirmed that she must bring a money order for $26.00 made out to GCIC and either a money order or cash for $20.00 to the Probate Court. She confirmed that she must bring a photo id with a Walton County address.

I asked if she needed anything else like SSN. The lady stated they do not ask SSN.

I asked her how long it takes and she stated 6 months. I asked her how it was that I received my GFL in Newton not too long ago and it only took 6 days. She stated that the law changed in July and now everything has to go through homeland security. She stated that most take 6 months although she has had a few go through that only took 4 months.

She also stated that since I had moved to Walton County that I had to get a new GFL from Walton County since they are only good for the county you are a resident of. I didn't argue as I could see that as going nowhere. Of course there is no way in hell I am taking that advice.

So wish my wife and I luck as we go through the Walton County headache process.

·
68,469 Posts
RedBeard said:
She also stated that since I had moved to Walton County that I had to get a new GFL from Walton County since they are only good for the county you are a resident of. I didn't argue as I could see that as going nowhere. Of course there is no way in hell I am taking that advice.
Well, GCO has discovered that probate courts throughout the state are populated with legal geniuses. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
A friend of mine recently started the process of renewing his permit in Walton county. After reading about my "Rockdale Ordeal" he was quite pleased with the treatment he received. Fingerprinting at the probate office instead of the jail, pleasant people and he claims the entire event took only 15 minutes.

Get this: Apparently the probate judge was involved in court business but the clerk had instructions to interrupt when the issuance of a temp permit was required.

I have yet to see or hear anything about my permit. I'll post some more info under the Rockdale thread.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts